IMPORTANT - READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY
PRIVACY ACT INFORMATION: The responses you submit are considered confidential (38 U.S.C. 5701). They may be disclosed
outside the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) only if the disclosure is authorized under the Privacy Act, including the routine uses
identified in the VA system of records, 58VA21/22/28, Compensation, Pension, Education and Vocational Rehabilitation and
Employment Records - VA, published in the Federal Register. The requested information is considered relevant and necessary to
determine maximum benefits under the law and is required to obtain benefits. Information submitted is subject to verification through
computer matching programs with other agencies.
RESPONDENT BURDEN: We need this information to determine your eligibility to burial benefits. Title 38, United States Code,
allows us to ask for this information. We estimate that you will need an average of 15 minutes to review the instructions, find the
information, and complete this form. VA cannot conduct or sponsor a collection of information unless a valid OMB control number is
displayed. Valid OMB control numbers can be located on the OMB Internet Page at www.reginfo.gov/public/do/PRAMain. If desired,
you can call 1-800-827-1000 to get information on where to send comments or suggestions about this form.
a. ELIGIBILITY - NON-SERVICE-CONNECTED
(1) NON-SERVICE-CONNECTED BURIAL ALLOWANCE - A one-time payment for a veteran who was receiving VA pension
or disability compensation; would have been receiving disability compensation but for the receipt of military retired pay, or had
an eligible pending claim at the time of death.
(2) SERVICE-CONNECTED BURIAL ALLOWANCE - A one-time payment for a veteran who was rated totally disabled for a
service-connected disability or disabilities; excluding individual unemployability, or who died of a service-connected disability.
(3) VA MEDICAL CENTER DEATH BURIAL ALLOWANCE - A one-time payment for a veteran whose death was not service-
connected and who died while hospitalized by VA.
b. BURIAL ALLOWANCE - A one-time benefit payment payable toward the expenses of the funeral and burial of the veteran's
remains. Burial includes all legal methods of disposing of the veteran's remains including, but not limited to, cremation, burial at
sea, and medical school donation.
c. PLOT OR INTERMENT ALLOWANCE - A one-time benefit payment payable toward:
"Plot" means the final disposition site of the remains, whether it is a grave, mausoleum vault, columbarium niche, or similar place.
"Interment" means the burial of casketed remains in the ground or the placement of cremated remains into a columbarium niche.
(1) Expenses incurred for the plot or interment if burial was not in a national cemetery or other cemetery under the jurisdiction of
the United States; OR
(2) Expenses payable to a State (or political subdivision of a State) if the veteran died from non-service-connected causes and was
buried in a State-owned cemetery or section used solely for the remains of persons eligible for burial in a national cemetery.
d. TRANSPORTATION EXPENSES - The cost of transporting the body to the place of burial may be paid in addition to the burial
(1) The veteran died of a service-connected disability or had a compensable service-connected disability and burial is in a national
(2) The veteran died while in a hospital, domiciliary or nursing home to which he/she had been properly admitted under
authority of VA; OR
(4) The veteran's remains are unclaimed and burial is in a national cemetery.
(3) The veteran died en route while traveling under prior authorization of VA for the purpose of examination, treatment; OR
INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETING APPLICATION FOR BURIAL BENEFITS
(UNDER 38 U.S.C., CHAPTER 23)
SUPERSEDES VA FORM 21P-530, JUN 2015, WHICH
WILL NOT BE USED.