Water for the North West
Household leak allowance
If you are a household customer with a water meter and are unlucky enough to
discover a leak on either your internal or external pipework, you are entitled to
claim for the cost of the water lost during the time you had the leak.
It’s important to point out that you are only able to make one claim for an internal
leak and one claim for an external leak at your address
Please read the notes below before completing the application form overleaf.
It’s really important that the leak has already been repaired before you make a
claim otherwise you will NOT be eligible.
Are you eligible to claim an allowance?
You will only be eligible to make a claim if: We can’t grant an allowance if:
• This is the rst claim you have made at your • You have been using more water than
current property; and usual due to something not related to a
leak (for example, you have had someone
• You have repaired the leak yourself within
staying with you which has led to an
14 days of discovering it or we have done
increase in your household water use).
the repair ourselves (on our equipment or
pipework). • You were aware of the leak, but you didn’t
take prompt action to repair it
• The leak was caused by your negligence
If you are eligible
• What you need to do now:
- Take a reading from the water meter and
note it on this form along with the date
- Continue paying your bill while your claim is
- Keep hold of the form – don’t send it back
to us just yet!
• What you need to do in 14 days’ time:
- Take another reading and note it on this
form along with the date. Obtaining two
readings over a 14 day period is important
as it allows us to better understand your
normal water usage
- Return the completed form to us at
United Utilities, Customer Service Centre,
PO Box 50, Warrington
• We will then work out the amount of water
that was lost during the time you had
- We will deduct your normal usage from the
amount of water recorded during the period
of the leak
- We will then apply the dierence between
the two gures as an allowance on your
account – this will be oset against any
balance on your account
- We can often make an adjustment on the
sewerage part of the bill too. That’s because
sewerage charges are based on your water
0345 672 2999
Opening hours: 8am - 8pm
Mon to Fri; 8am - 4pm Sat
*If another leak occurs at this property, you may be eligible for a further allowance against sewerage charges if the water
running to waste does not enter the sewer network.
PO Box 50