House Move Application
You must apply for a House Move permit if the loaded width exceeds 20 feet at the widest points.
Instructions for completing the House Move permit request process: (House mover works directly with the Motor Carrier Division (MCD))
1. Applicant submits application to MCD including exact dimensions and weight, vehicle information, starting and ending
locations and requested start date.
2. Applicant either:
- Completes Form MCD-109, House Move Route Form and faxes it to (512) 465-4254, or
- Enters information into the Texas Permitting & Routing Optimization System (TxPROS) at TxPROS.TxDMV.gov.
3. MCD will determine the most practical route and will send a route inspection form to the appropriate TxDOT District Permit
Coordinator for approval.
4. After approval is received, MCD will furnish the applicant with a proposed route on a House Move Route Inspection Form.
5. Upon receipt of the signed route inspection MCD will issue a permit and send a copy to all appropriate districts.
The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles maintains the information collected through this form. With few exceptions, you are entitled upon request
to be informed about the information that we collect about you. Under §§552.021, 552.023 and 559.004 of the Texas Government Code, you are
entitled to receive and review the information, and to have us correct erroneous information.
1. Applicant must submit request 3-5 days in advance of movement date.
2. Prior to obtaining a House Move permit, an applicant must:
- Comply with TxDMV Motor Carrier Registration requirements OR, file a surety bond in the amount of $10,000 with
TxDMV (Form MCD-439).
- Register vehicles under the provisions of Texas Transportation Code, Chapter 502.
- Register with UCR upon notification.
- Comply with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requirements.
- Provide valid payment method: Cash, Credit Cards*: American Express, Discover, Mastercard, Visa, First Pay (Frost
Bank), or Escrow. *A service charge of 25 cents plus 2.25 percent of the total fee amount will be added to all credit
- If gross weight of vehicle and load exceeds 80,000 Ibs. or exceeds legal weights per axle or axle group the weight
information must be provided. See Example Page on how to provide this information on Form MCD-109 or in
TxDOT District Personnel Responsibilities:
1. District Permit Coordinator and the carrier or MCD will agree upon a route.
2. District Permit Coordinators will consider the following when approving routes:
- The amount of inconvenience and hazard the move poses to the traveling public based on traffic volume, the
highway geometrics and time of movement and
- The overall width of the house or building, measured to the nearest inch, including the eaves or porches, the overall
loaded height, measured to the nearest inch (height could create an extra routing problem because of overhead
3. District Permit Coordinator will facilitate and expedite a house move request by contacting all maintenance offices within
their District. If house will travel through any other Districts, proper approvals must be obtained.
4. District Permit Coordinator will submit Form MCD-109 to the MCD when carrier makes request through the district.
5. Upon issuance of the permit the carrier should request any extensions via the MCD. MCD will contact the TxDOT District
Permit Coordinator for approval.
For questions regarding your application status, email MCD_Permit-Housemoves@TxDMV.gov or call (800) 299-1700.
Form MCD-109 (Rev. 07/19)