Directions for Submission of
Request for Exceptions to Policy/Procedures/Deadlines
Students have the option and/or right to request for recourse, and/or exceptions regarding
actions taken in the process of the academic journey, including petitioning to appeal policies,
includes posted deadlines due to unforeseen and personal extenuating circumstances.
The student holds the responsibility to prove and provide supporting documentation (to support
the individual’s claim) to HonCC that he/she had an extenuating and/or unforeseen
circumstance(s) for which the student’s exception to the policy or policies should be accepted
by the college.
(1) Complete the Exception request form. The Exception request form should clearly
state the individual’s unforeseen and/or extenuating circumstance(s).
Further, the information should clearly state why the individual could not comply with
the policy or policies in addition to any and all deadlines that have passed. For instance,
in the case of petitioning to accept a late application, the student should be able to clearly
state how and or why he/she was not able to submit an application during the time in
which the college was receiving the applications.
(2) Any and all information to support the individual claims should be attached to the
Exception Request Form at the point he/she submits the form for review. Supporting
documentation should be detailed and inclusive, clearly stated, and/or supporting the
individual’s claim. The information will be used to render the decision regarding the
(3) Upon securing all supporting documents pertinent to the request, submit the Exception
Request Form and attach all supporting documents to the Registrar’s Office.
(4) Should there be questions regarding the request, an official from Honolulu Community
College will call and/or schedule a meeting with the individual to secure the necessary
(5) Upon receiving all information and clarifications as necessary, the individual will be
informed of the decision by way of email.
(6) Exception request decisions may take up to 15 business days.