Personal History Statement 11.22.2016 Initial this page to indicate that you have provided complete and accurate information: _____
Page 3 of 34
Personal History Statement Instructions
Employees are exposed to confidential and law enforcement sensitive information. A thorough background investigation
is required to properly evaluate the suitability of applicants for employment with the agency. Although it is an achievement
to reach the background phase of the hiring process, this is still a competitive process and does not, in any way, guaranty
These instructions are provided as a guide to assist you in properly completing your Personal History Statement. It is
essential that the information is accurate in all respects so please read all instructions carefully before proceeding. The
Personal History Statement will be used as a basis for a background investigation that will determine your eligibility for
becoming an employee.
1. Your application must be printed legibly in BLACK INK by the applicant or typed. Answer all questions truthfully
2. If a question is not applicable to you, enter N/A in the space provided.
3. Avoid errors by reading the directions carefully before making any entries on the form. Be sure your information is
accurate and in proper sequence before you begin.
4. You are responsible for obtaining correct and full addresses. If you are not sure of an address, personally verify
before making that entry on this history statement. Errors will not be viewed favorably.
ALL ADDRESSES MUST
BE COMPLETE WITH ZIP CODES.
5. If you need additional space for your answers, attach additional sheets as needed. Be sure to indicate what
question number and page this refers to.
6. An accurate and complete form will help expedite your investigation. Omissions or falsifications will result in
7. You are responsible for furnishing any changes and/or updating your application as needed, such as address
changes or telephone changes in writing.
8. Any candidate submitting an incomplete application WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR EMPLOYMENT. Your
application will be evaluated on completeness and neatness.
9. All documents requested must be submitted with the application (photocopies are acceptable in most cases).
Required documents vary according to the position being sought and the history of the applicant. Hiring agency
please check off documents required- modify list as necessary.
Completed Personal History Statement
Copy of your Social Security card.
Original certified copy of your birth certificate. (No photo copy)
Copy of your valid Texas driver license or a copy of another State’s driver license. Applicant must possess a valid
Texas driver license prior to being offered employment.
Copy of your High School diploma or GED certificate or an honorable discharge from the armed forces of the United
States after at least twenty four months of active service.
Sealed original certified copy of your college transcript. (No photo copy)
Photocopy of your college diploma.
Copy of your Peace Officer Certificate from your police academy. (Peace Officer Applicants Only)
Copy of your Texas peace officer license and all training certificates awarded to you. (Peace Officer Applicants Only)
Copy of your DD-214 if applicable. Must possess an honorable discharge.
Original certified copy of your Naturalization papers, if applicable. (No photo copy)
Copy of current proof of automobile liability insurance.
Copy of a TCOLE approved Firearms Qualifications within the last 12 months.
10. If you have any questions, please contact your assigned background investigator
11. When submitting the completed documents, please place them in a sealed envelope marked Personal and
Confidential to your assigned background investigator.