SOCIAL SECURITY Social Security Letters are used to apply for a social security number (for employment
purposes). You MUST have a job offer AND work authorization from OIP in order to
apply for a SSN.
Social Security Administration (SSA) will process SSN applications for on-campus or
CPT work no more than 30 days prior to the job start date.
For OPT, SSA will process the application only after the start date listed on the I-20
and EAD Card. Please indicate your start date so that it will be included in the letter.
On-Campus Employment (please provide copy of work authorization and the following information)
Employer (office/department) Job Title Start date
Off-Campus Employment (CPT/OPT – first time employment)
Please provide copy of I-20 authorization:
Attached On File
Start date (month/day/year)
listed on your I-20 and/or EAD Card
OTHER LETTER Please provide information on the type of letter you need from our office and provide any
pertinent information (for example: for letters of recommendation, please provide the name,
company, and address where letter should be sent when complete, why you need the letter,
form, and any important honors/accomplishments/experience that we could highlight)
I understand the following:
1. that the letter I am requesting may contain personal information including my legal status.
2. that if I do not pick up my letter in a timely manner, I cannot request the same letter again.
3. that if I give incorrect information it will take an additional 5 business days to receive an updated
4. that my letter request will be denied if I do not provide all the requested information.
5. that I must send a written request to OIP for anyone other than myself to pick up my letter.
Do Not Write Below This Space – Comments for OIP Staff ONLY!
______ Request Completed on
______ Requested More Info on
______ Cannot Complete Request (reason):