INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETING VERIFICATION OF LAWFUL PRESENCE AFFIDAVIT
In order to obtain a certificate/license from the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC), Georgia
law requires every applicant to complete an affidavit (sworn written statement) before a Notary Public that
establishes that the applicant is lawfully present in the United States of America. This affidavit is a material part of
your GaPSC certification/licensure application and must be completed truthfully. Your application may be denied
or your certificate may be revoked by the GaPSC if it is determined that you have made a material misstatement
of fact in connection with your application. Please follow the instructions listed below.
You must submit the following with your Pre-Service Application and GCIC Consent Form:
1. Notarized Affidavit (page 3 of this document)
2. A copy of an acceptable ID (see below)
1. Select the ONE option on the affidavit that applies to you:
Option 1 is to be initialed/selected by you if you are a United States citizen; or
Option 2 is to be initialed/selected by you if you are a legal permanent resident of the United States: you
are not a U.S. citizen but you have a green card; or
Option 3 is to be initialed/selected by you if you are a qualified alien or non-immigrant (but not a U.S.
citizen or a legal permanent resident).
If you selected Option 2 or 3, please provide the number (whether or not it is called an “alien number”)
issued by the Department of Homeland Security or other federal immigration agency in the blank space
following this statement: “My alien number issued by the Department of Homeland Security or other federal
immigration agency is:”
2. Select an acceptable ID based on your selection in Step 1.
Acceptable IDs for Option 1 (U.S. citizen) are:
o An unexpired driver’s license issued by a U.S. state, D.C., or certain U.S. territories
o An unexpired United States passport or passport card
o An unexpired United States military identification card
o Any document listed here:
The only acceptable ID for Option 2 (legal permanent resident) is a copy of the front and back of your
unexpired United States Permanent Resident Card.
Acceptable IDs for Option 3 (qualified alien or non-immigrant) are:
o An unexpired work authorization card
o I-94 documentation reflecting the I-94 number and expiration date AND a valid foreign passport
o A valid Certificate of Eligibility reflecting your SEVIS number AND a valid foreign passport
Fill in the type of ID (e.g. Georgia driver’s license, U.S. passport, etc.) that you are using on the affidavit on
the line after “The secure and verifiable document provided with this affidavit can best be classified as:”
3. Print out the affidavit (page 4 of this document).
4. Find a local Notary Public. Check the yellow pages, the internet, or with a local business such as a bank.
5. Bring your affidavit and the ID you selected (from the list in Step 2) to appear before the Notary Public.
6. Show the Notary Public your ID and state under oath in the presence of the Notary Public that you are
who you say you are and that you are in the United States lawfully. Then sign your name.
7. Make certain that the Notary Public signs and dates the affidavit and lists when their notary
8. Make a copy of the affidavit and the ID that you presented to the Notary Public for your own records.
9. Submit the following with your Pre-Service Application and GCIC Consent Form:
A copy of the signed and notarized affidavit; and
A copy of the ID you presented to the Notary Public.