Form SSA-827 (03-2020)
Discontinue Prior Editions
AUTHORIZATION TO DISCLOSE INFORMATION TO
THE SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION (SSA)
Page 1 of 2
OMB No. 0960-0623
Whose Records to be Disclosed
NAME (First, Middle, Last, Suffix)
** PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE FORM, BOTH PAGES, BEFORE SIGNING BELOW **
I voluntarily authorize and request disclosure (including paper, oral, and electronic interchange):
OF WHAT All my medical records: also education records and other information related to my ability to perform tasks. This includes Specific
permission to release:
1. All records and other information regarding my treatment, hospitalization, and outpatient care for my impairment(s) including, and not
• Psychological, psychiatric or other mental impairment(s) (excludes "psychotherapy notes" as defined in 45 CFR 164.501)
• Drug abuse, alcoholism, or other substance abuse
• Sickle cell anemia
• Records which may indicate the presence of a communicable or noncommunicable disease; and tests for or records of HIV/AIDS
• Gene-related impairments (including genetic test results)
2. Information about how my impairment(s) affects my ability to complete tasks and activities of daily living, and affects my ability to work.
3. Copies of educational tests or evaluations, including Individualized Educational Programs, triennial assessments, psychological and speech
evaluations, and any other records that can help evaluate function; also teachers' observations and evaluations.
4. Information created within 12 months after the date this authorization is signed, as well as past information.
• All medical sources (hospitals, clinics, labs,
physicians, psychologists, etc.) including mental
health, correctional, addiction treatment, and VA
health care facilities
• All educational sources (schools, teachers, records
administrators, counselors, etc.)
• Social workers/rehabilitation counselors
• Consulting examiners used by SSA
• Employers, insurance companies, workers'
• Others who may know about my condition (family,
neighbors, friends, public officials)
THIS BOX TO BE COMPLETED BY SSA/DDS (as needed). Additional information to identify the
subject (e.g., other names used), the specific source, or the material to be disclosed:
TO WHOM The Social Security Administration and to the State agency authorized to process my case (usually called "disability determination
services"), including contract copy services, and doctors or other professionals consulted during the process. [Also, for international
claims, to the U.S. Department of State Foreign Service Post.]
PURPOSE Determining my eligibility for benefits, including looking at the combined effect of any impairments that by themselves would not meet SSA's
definition of disability; and whether I can manage such benefits.
Determining whether I am capable of managing benefits ONLY (check only if this applies)
EXPIRES WHEN This authorization is good for 12 months from the date signed (below my signature).
• I authorize the use of a copy (including electronic copy) of this form for the disclosure of the information described above.
• I understand that there are some circumstances in which this information may be redisclosed to other parties (see page 2 for details).
• I may write to SSA and my sources to revoke this authorization at any time (see page 2 for details).
• SSA will give me a copy of this form if I ask; I may ask the source to allow me to inspect or get a copy of material to be disclosed.
• I have read both pages of this form and agree to the disclosures above from the types of sources listed.
PLEASE SIGN USING BLUE OR BLACK INK ONLY
INDIVIDUAL authorizing disclosure Signature
IF not signed by subject of disclosure, specify basis for authority to sign
Parent of minor Guardian
Other personal representative
(Parent/guardian/personal representative sign
here if two signatures required by State law)
Phone Number (with area code)
City State ZIP
WITNESS I know the person signing this form or am satisfied of this person's identity:
Phone Number (or Address)
IF needed, second witness sign here (e.g., if signed with "X" above)
Phone Number (or Address)
This general and special authorization to disclose was developed to comply with the provisions regarding disclosure of medical, educational, and other
information under P.L. 104-191 ("HIPAA"); 45 CFR parts 160 and 164; 42 U.S. Code section 290dd-2; 42 CFR part 2; 38 U.S. Code section 7332; 38 CFR 1.475;
20 U.S. Code section 1232g ("FERPA"); 34 CFR parts 99 and 300; and State law.