Check or money order may be accepted as payment. Make the check or
money order payable to: Missouri Department of Revenue. The check
must be preprinted with the check writer’s name and address, bank code,
and account number. It must also include the following information regarding
the check writer:
1. Driver license or non-driver license number;
2. Date of birth; and
3. Daytime phone number.
DO NOT SEND CASH WHEN APPLYING BY MAIL. The Missouri
Department of Revenue may electronically resubmit checks returned
for insufficient or uncol lected funds. Other restrictions may also apply.
Please follow the order of the instructions provided below, beginning with
TRANSACTION TYPE, when completing your application. If there is no
instruction for a particular field, simply provide the information requested,
such as OWNER’S NAME or YEAR of the vehicle.
1. TRANS TYPE — Check the appropriate block.
2. Check the appropriate block indicating type of title required.
3. STREET ADDRESS — You must provide your actual physical street
address in order to determine the correct tax rate. PO box numbers and
rural routes are not a physical address and cannot be used for a street
address but can be used for a “mail to” address.
4. TRANSFER ON DEATH — To name one or more beneficiaries on
the title in the event of the owner’s death, check this block. Record
the beneficiaries name(s) in the designated area following the vehicle
owner’s name. TENANTS IN COMMON — If the application shows two
or more owners, the unit will be held in joint tenancy. If this is not desired,
the tenants in common block must be marked.
5. IN CITY LIMITS/OUTSIDE CITY LIMITS — Check the appropriate box if
you live inside or outside city limits.
6. DLN or FEIN — Record your Driver License or Federal Employer
7. YEAR, MAKE, VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER, AND BODY
STYLE — Record in designated areas. If you hand write the application,
record only one character in each block within the Vehicle Identification
8. FUEL — Enter the appropriate code.
9. GVWR — Record the vehicle’s gross weight rating as reflected on the
manufacturer’s statement of origin.
10. MILEAGE — Record the odometer reading from the assigned
title/manufacturer’s statement of origin/odometer disclosure statement.
11. PURCHASE DATE — Record the date the vehicle was purchased.
12. NEW — Check if the unit is new.
13. USED MO — Check if the purchase of the unit was recorded on a title.
14. SURRENDERED TITLE NUMBER/STATE — If a title is being surrendered,
fill in the title number and the state in which the title was issued. If
the unit is new record “MSO” in the surrendered title number block.
15. ZONE, GROSS WEIGHT OR SEATING CAPACITY, KIND OF VEHICLE
(KOV) CYLINDER (CYL.), AND HORSEPOWER (H.P.) — Record the
correct code. For passenger vehicles also provide the number of
cylinders and taxable horsepower. For trucks, enter the licensed gross
16. EXPIRATION MONTH AND YEAR — Record the month and year that
the current license plates expire.
17. FIRST LIEN — If the vehicle has an outstanding lien, check “Yes” and
record the complete name and address of the lienholder. The “FIRST
LIEN” block must be checked and the date of lien indicated. A title
showing a lien will be mailed to the owner. If title is to be mailed to first
lienholder, check “Mail to Lienholder” box. If there is no lien, check “No”.
18. SECOND LIEN — If adding a second lien, check “Yes” and record the
complete name and address of the lienholder. The “SECOND LIEN”
block must be checked and the date of lien indicated.
19. MAIL TO — If the vehicle is not subject to a second lien or the first lien is not
subject to future advances, and the title is to be sent to an address other than
the address shown in the owner information section, the “Mail To” block must
be checked and the name and address of the individual who is to receive the
title must be indicated in the #2 block in the lien/mail to section.
20. TRADE-IN, LICENSE TRANSFER INFORMATION — YEAR, MAKE,
VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER, HORSE POWER, AND TITLE
NUMBER — Record the information from the previous vehicle in the
21. SIGNATURE — ONE OWNER MUST SIGN THE APPLICATION FOR
22. $1 BLIND FUND, $1 ORGAN FUND, AND $1, $10, OR OTHER
AMOUNT TO THE WWI MEMORIAL FUND — Check appropriate
block(s) if you wish to donate to the fund(s).
ALL INCORRECT OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE
REJECTED. If there is no complete change of ownership and the title is to
be mailed to the lienholder, the incorrect or incomplete application will be
sent to the lienholder.
Section 301.300, RSMo provides for the issuance of a duplicate title in the
event of the loss, mutilation, or destruction of any certificate of ownership. To
apply for a duplicate certificate of ownership, complete the application in full,
including the information below.
1. Duplicate Title Only — Check the appropriate block indicating the reason
a duplicate title is needed.
2. Notary Information — The applicant’s signature must be witnessed by a
notary public if applying for a duplicate title.
3. Submit an $8.50 duplicate title fee and a $6.00 processing fee.
NOTE: If a lien is shown on the original title and the loan was satisfied on or
after July 1, 2003, you must submit a notarized Lien Release (DOR-4809),
with the Application for Title.
SUBMIT THE REQUIRED ITEMS AND FEES TO YOUR LOCAL CONTRACT
OFFICE OR MAIL TO: MOTOR VEHICLE BUREAU, P.O. BOX 100,
JEFFERSON CITY, MO 65105-0100.
DIRECT INQUIRIES TO (573) 526-3669 OR VISIT OUR WEB SITE AT:
REMEMBER TO SIGN THE APPLICATION AND SUBMIT THE
APPROPRIATE OWNERSHIP DOCUMENT, TITLE FEE, AND APPLICABLE
PROCESSING FEES. (FEES ARE POSTED AT www.dor.mo.gov/mvdl.)
NOTE: License Office notary service - $2.00
COMPLETING THIS TITLE APPLICATION
Application for Title completed and signed by the applicant.
Appropriate title/registration/processing fees and state/local sales tax,
Assigned certificate of ownership.
Copy of front and back of title assigned to dealer for trade-in vehicle
or bill of sale or total loss statement for tax credit, if applicable.
*Insurance card or other acceptable proof of financial responsibility.
*Vehicle emissions inspection (if required) not more than 60 days old
must be submitted by residents in the city of St. Louis and the
following counties: Franklin, Jefferson, St. Charles, and St. Louis.
Applies only to certain passenger vehicles and trucks with a
manufacturer’s gross weight rating of 8,500 pounds or less.
*Vehicle safety inspection (if required) not more than 60 days old or 90
days old if newly purchased from a Missouri dealer and the safety
inspection provided by the Missouri dealer was completed within 60 days
prior to the purchase date. All trailers, ATVs, and new motor vehicles (not
previously titled) are exempt.
*Paid personal property tax receipt or a statement of non-assessment
from the county (or city of St. Louis) in which you resided on January
1st of the previous year. The property tax receipt or statement of
non-assessment must be in the owner’s name. One receipt must be
presented for the previous year to renew a one-year registration and
two receipts must be presented for the last two years to renew a
*Not required for title only or for ATVs.
TITLE PENALTY: A TITLE PENALTY FEE OF $25.00 FOR EACH 30 DAYS OF DELINQUENCY, NOT TO EXCEED A TOTAL OF $200.00, SHALL BE
IMPOSED FOR FAILURE TO APPLY FOR A CERTIFICATE OF TITLE WITHIN 30 DAYS AFTER PURCHASE.
NOTE: See https://dor.mo.gov/motorv/titling.php for vehicles that are exempt from safety and/or emissions inspection.