ABN 81 913 830 179
Application for voluntary cancellation of
registration of an association
Associations Incorporation Act 2009 (section 72)
When should this form be lodged?
This form must be lodged when an association wishes to
voluntarily cancel its registration as an incorporated association.
Association details (part 1)
Please ensure the correct name and registration number of the
association is included in this section.
Please read this information before completing this form.
This form can be completed in Adobe Reader and saved for your records.
Surplus assets are any property (including money held in bank
accounts and cash) remaining after payment of the association's
debts and liabilities.
A detailed list setting out a description of the surplus assets and
their monetary values must be provided.
The list must specifically identify any surplus assets supplied by a
government department or public authority and any assets held
in trust by the association.
Details of the proposed organisations that will receive the
association's surplus assets must be provided.
Surplus assets and proposed distribution (parts 3 and 4)
Note - all debts and liabilities of the association must be paid
before this form is lodged.
Associations that are unable to pay their debts are not able to
apply for voluntary cancellation. If your association is unable to
pay its debts the committee of the association should seek
immediate advice from a solicitor or accountant in relation to
their obligations under the Act.
Read the information concerning voluntary cancellation available
Before completing this form the incorporated association should
• it has properly passed a special resolution to approve making
* the application to cancel its registration and
* approving the proposed distribution of its surplus assets,
• all of the debts and liabilities of the association have been
• any outstanding annual summaries of financial affairs (Form
* A12-T1 or A12-T2) required to be lodged under section 45 or
* 49 of the Associations Incorporation Act 2009 (as the case
* may be) for the 3 financial years before the application is
What should we do before completing the form?
Distribution of assets
The Act sets out certain requirements regarding the distribution
of surplus assets of an incorporated association including:
• the proposed distribution of any surplus assets must be
* approved by NSW Fair Trading before the assets are
• surplus assets cannot be distributed to or given for the benefit
* of any member or former member of the association or to any
* person to be held in trust for such member or former
• the distribution of surplus assets is subject to any trust
* affecting `those' assets or any part of them,
• any asset supplied by a government department or public
* authority (including any unexpended portion of any grant)
* must be returned to the department or authority that
* supplied it or delivered to such person or body as that
* department or public authority directs.
A committee member is required to complete the statutory
declaration confirming the accuracy of the information provided
in the form.
The statutory declaration must be declared before a Solicitor or
Justice of the Peace.
How to lodge
• The application will be reviewed. You will be notified in
* writing if further information is required.
• This form may be returned if:
* • it is not completed correctly; or
* • it does not have the necessary attachments.
• If your application is approved, the association's registration
* will be cancelled and you will receive written confirmation.
• If your application is refused, you will receive written
* notification of the reasons.
• If any change occurs in the information you have provided in
* your application, you must notify NSW Fair Trading as soon
* as possible.
What happens when you lodge your application?
The terms of the special resolution (motion) approved by the
members of the association must be set out here. If there is
insufficient room a copy of the special resolution must be
attached to this form.
Do not attach minutes of meetings.
Special resolution (part 2)
The association's financial statement for the current financial
year (start of the association's current financial year to date)
must be attached.
Current financial information (part 5)
• By email to firstname.lastname@example.org
• By post to Registry and Accreditation, PO Box 22, Bathurst
• NSW 2795.
• In person at any Service NSW Centre. For the address of
* your nearest Service NSW Centre please telephone 13 77 88
* or visit www.service.nsw.gov.au/service-centre.
• There is no fee for lodging this form.
Updated November 2020