Name Class Date
Copyright © by Holt, Rinehart and Winston. All rights reserved.
Holt Sociology 17 Chapter Review Activities
FILL IN THE BLANK In each blank, write the word or phrase that best completes the
1. Sociologists call the division of society into categories, ranks, or classes social
2. Divisions based on individual abilities and behaviors lead to social
, the unequal sharing of scarce resources and social
3. In a system, a person’s status is assigned at birth and
usually remains the same throughout life.
4. , or marriage outside one’s own social category, is
traditionally forbidden in a caste system.
5. According to Karl Marx, the are the workers who sell
their labor in exchange for wages.
6. Sociologists who adopt the view of Max Weber define social class as a grouping of
people with similar levels of wealth, power, and .
7. An individual’s wealth is made up of his or her —the
value of everything the person owns—and income—money earned through salaries
8. is the ability to control the behavior of others, with or
without their consent.
9. Many working-class jobs require manual labor and have been traditionally labeled
10. Families who have experienced unemployment and poverty over several generations
are part of the social stratum.
11. Families are considered poor if their income falls below the minimum set by the U.S.
Bureau of the Census as the level.
12. are factors such as health, length of life, and education
that influence an individual’s ability to share in the opportunities and benefits of