Using Out-of-Network Providers
Members who elect to use an out-of-network provider must pay the provider in full at the time of service and submit a claim to Avēsis for reimbursement.
Reimbursement levels are in accordance with the out-of-network reimbursement schedule previously listed. Out-of-network benets are subject to
the same eligibility, availability, frequency of benets, and limitation and exclusion provisions of the plan, and are in lieu of services provided by a
participating Avēsis provider. Out-of-network claim forms can be obtained by contacting Avēsis’ Customer Service Center or your group administrator, or
by visiting www.avesis.com.
Limitations and Exclusions
Some provisions, benets, exclusions, or limitations listed herein may vary depending on your state of residence.
This plan is designed to cover eye examinations and corrective eyewear. It is also designed to cover visual needs rather than cosmetic options. Should
the member select options that are not covered under the plan, as shown in the schedule of benets, the member will pay a discounted fee to the
participating Avēsis provider. Benets are payable only for services received while the group and individual member’s coverage is in force.
There are no benets under the plan for professional services or materials connected with and arising from:
1) Orthoptics or vision training;
2) Subnormal vision aids and any supplemental testing, aniseikonic lenses;
3) Plano (non-prescription) lenses, sunglasses;
4) Two pair of glasses in lieu of bifocal lenses;
5) Any medical or surgical treatment of eye or supporting structures;
6) Replacement of lost or broken lenses, contact lenses or frames, except when the member is normally eligible for services;
7) Any eye examination or corrective eyewear required by an employer as a condition of employment and safety eyewear;
8) Services or materials provided as a result of Workers’ Compensation Law, or similar legislation, required by any governmental agency whether
Federal, State, or subdivision thereof;
9) Any vision examination;
10) Services or materials provided by any other group benet plan providing vision care.
Refractive Surgery Vision Benet Exclusions:
Benets are not payable for any of the following:
1) Routine vision examinations or corrective vision materials, including corrective eyeglasses, ttings, lenses, frames, or contact lenses; or
2) Medical or surgical procedures, services, or treatments:
a. not specically covered under this Rider;
b. provided free of charge in the absence of insurance
c. payable under any Workers’ Compensation law or similar statutory authority
d. payable under governmental plan or program, whether Federal, state, or subdivisions thereof.
Notes and Disclaimers
The contact lens allowance may be used all at once or throughout the plan year as needed or may be applied toward contact lenses only, or both contact
lenses and professional services (tting fees). Refractive Laser Surgery is considered an elective procedure, and may involve potential risks to patients.
Avēsis is not responsible for the outcome of any refractive surgery.
Insured benets are administered by Avēsis Third Party Administrators, Inc., Phoenix, AZ
Coverage will end on the earliest of: the date the policy ends, the date the employee’s employment ends, or the date the employee is no longer eligible.