grade) Junior High (7
Name ___________________________________________________________________________________ Grade ________
School _____________________________________________ City _________________________________ State _________
Title (required) ________________________________________________ Number of Words (required) ________________
1. Approach to topic is creative/original.
2. Content is organized intentionally.
3. Poem captures the reader’s interest.
4. Theme or main idea is developed and well
5. Word choice is precise and free of clichés.
Poem contains unique details and vivid
a. If the poem is in rhyme, the rhyme scheme is
b. If there is no rhyme, there are compensating
sound devices (alliteration, consonance,
a. Meter is consistent throughout and
b. If there is no meter, phrasing possesses a
rhythmic flow to distinguish it from prose.
3. Poem is infused with imagery-specific sensory
impressions, rather than broad generalities.
4. Literary devices such as metaphor or symbol
add depth or layers of meaning to the poem.
5. Visual appearance: Structure is intentional and
meaningfully connected to the content.
Writer shows a clear understanding of the rules of
capitalization, punctuation, spelling, and
grammar/syntax OR consistency and intentionality
in breaking the rules.
Total (55 possible points) ___________________
STATEMENT OF ORIGINALITY: I certify that this project is my own
original and authentic work and that I received no help in completing
this project other than general instruction and supervision.
Student’s Signature (required)
1 = Poor
2 = Fair/Average
3 = Good/Above Average
4 = Excellent
5 = Superior