For more information, contact the USC Aiken Palmetto College Coordinator at PC@usca.edu
PROFESSIONAL PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
These are requirements all USC Aiken education majors must complete in order to be admitted to
and continue in the School of Education Professional Program.
• Complete PRAXIS Core Exam: Education Majors are required to pass all three sections (math,
writing, and reading) of the Praxis Core Test before being admitted to the professional program.
Applicants who have an 1100 on the 2-part SAT, 1650 on the 3-part SAT, or 24 on the ACT are
exempt from taking the Praxis I exam. Find out more on the School of Education webpage
• Submit Professional Program Application: The baccalaureate curricula of the School of
ducation are divided into general education and professional training. Any student who fulfills
the admission requirements of the University may enroll in the pre-professional curriculum.
Curricula designated as professional education courses are limited to candidates who have been
formally accepted into the USC Aiken Professional Education Program. The Program Advisor
will provide more information as the student approaches this deadline.
• Complete PRAXIS II Exams: The Praxis II Subject Area Exam(s) and the Principles of Teaching &
Learning (PLT) exams must be passed prior to state teacher certification. It is recommended
that teacher candidates take the Subject Area exam(s) prior to internship and the PLT during
• Apply for Internship (student teaching): Students are required to complete 12 Internship credit
hours. This is required for the degree and state certification. Students in the Palmetto Colleg
rogram may complete the internship in a school in which they are working or in a school in
their area. The Director of Field Experience will assist students with finding placements. Find
out more on the School of Education webpage
ECHNOLOGY REQUIREMENTS FOR DISTANCE LEARNERS
These are the general technology needs for the USC Aiken Palmetto College program. All course content
will be via Blackboard, which is offered through USC Aiken once you are enrolled into the program. In
addition, some courses require more specific software, which is often available free or bundled with the
cost of additional course materials.
• Reliable computer with sound and video playing capabilities
• Broadband Internet connection (DSL, cable, satellite)
• Webcam for interacting online and accessing remote support
• Mozilla Firefox v. 7 or later OR latest version of Internet Explorer available for your operating
system (IE 9 for Windows Vista and IE 11 for Windows 7, 8.1, and 10)
Other Browser Requirements:
• Adobe Flash
• Microsoft Office 2016 (Word, Excel, Power Point, Access). Available free for Windows and
Mac through USC Aiken.