Someone made a report about your child’s safety. To
protect your child, a police officer or social worker has:
Why was my child taken from me?
Where is my child now?
Your child may be at a temporary foster home or shelter
in this county. To find out more about what is happening
with your child, call the social worker for this case:
Social Worker:
Yes. You have the right to:
Do I have the right to try to get my child back?
Tell your lawyer if you have questions about your rights or
about what happens in court.
Judicial Council of California,
New January 1, 2015, Optional Form
JV-050-INFO, Page 1 of 1
Taken your child out of your home, and
Asked the court to get involved in this case to
protect your child.
Will my child be returned to me soon?
It depends. A social worker will review your home
situation and decide how best to keep your child safe.
Your child’s other legal parent (if you do not live
A relative or extended family member, or
A foster parent.
A lawyer. (The court will give you one if you cannot
afford one.)
Take part in all court hearings about your child.
Have an interpreter in court if you do not speak
English well.
Refuse to answer questions that could lead to
criminal charges against you.
How will I know when to go to court?
You will get a Notice with the time, date, and location of
the court hearing.
Important! The court and the social worker will mail you
many important documents. If your mailing address
changes, tell your social worker right away.
After your child is taken from your home, a social
worker has 2 full working days to decide if your
child is safe with you. If the social worker thinks
your child is not safe with you, she or he will:
Take a Petition to a special court for children
(Juvenile Court), and
Ask the court to be in charge of your child’s care,
custody, and supervision.
Important! Read the Petition. It lists the reasons
(allegations) your child is not safe in your home. If
you do not understand it, ask your lawyer.
The court has 1 full working day to hold a
detention hearing. This hearing will decide:
To return the child to you right away, or
Where the child will stay for now and how you
can visit him or her.
The next hearing will be within 15 working days
unless the judge decides more time is needed. It’s
called a jurisdictional hearing. That’s when the
judge will look more closely at your child’s situation
and decide if any allegation in the Petition is true.
If the judge decides none of them is true, your
child will be returned to you.
If the judge believes any allegation is true, your
child may become the court’s dependent.
If your child becomes the court’s dependent
There will be another hearing (called a dispositional
hearing), when the judge will decide:
Where your child should live,
When, where, and how you can visit your child, and
What must be done to take care of the problems that
caused your child to be taken out of the home. (This
is called a reunification plan.)
This hearing may be at the same time as the jurisdictional
hearing. If you or your child disagrees with the judge’s
decision, you may ask an appeals court to review the
judge’s decision.
If your child is not returned home before you go to court,
your child may be sent temporarily to stay with:
Does my child have rights, too?
Yes. Your child has the same rights that you have. Your
child will have a different lawyer who will:
Tell the court what the child wants, and
Ask the court to do what is best for the child.
Yes. You must give the social worker names and contact
information for your child’s other legal parent and
relatives who may be able to care for your child. The
social worker will contact them to see if their home is
available and safe for your child.
Can my child be placed with relatives?
What to expect
Questions? Talk to your lawyer, and learn more about
cases like yours at:
What happens if your child is taken from your home?
What happens if your child is taken from
your home?
For your protection and privacy, please press the Clear
This Form button after you have printed the form.
Print this form
Save this form
Clear this form