Registration and Records
Application for Academic
The purpose of academic forgiveness is to allow a student who has not performed well
academically in the past to have a maximum of twelve (12) credit hours of “E” grades removed
from his or her grade point average. In order to qualify for academic forgiveness, you must
meet the following conditions:
1. You must be currently enrolled at the time you apply for academic forgiveness.
2. Five or more years must elapse between the academic forgiveness and the last failing
grade for which forgiveness is requested.
3. The student must have earned at Henry Ford College at least six (6) credit hours in courses
numbered 100 or above and have a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 2. 0 or
higher from the time period in which the failing grades were received.
Please be aware of the following:
1. Forgiven grades, to a maximum of twelve (12) credit hours will no longer be calculated in
the student’s overall grade point average (GPA).
2. Forgiven grades will remain on the transcript and a special notation will be added
explaining academic forgiveness.
3. Academic forgiveness is granted only once to any student.
4. Academic forgiveness, when granted applies to Henry Ford College courses. There is no
guarantee, expressed or implied, that academic forgiveness will be recognized by any other
college or university.
5. Academic forgiveness will not be granted once a student has graduated from Henry Ford
Please print clearly, and allow 10 business days for processing. If you have questions regarding
this information, please contact the Registration & Records office at 313.845.6403