NO APPLICATION FOR A VOLUNTEER WILL BE PROCESSED WITHOUT THIS TRANSCRIPT!
PROBATIONARY AGREEMENT FOR VOLUNTEERS
As of January 1, 1988, all new firefighters joining the Granite Quarry Fire Department will serve a twelve (12)
month training/probationary period to gain knowledge and learn their duties as a firefighter with this
department. A six (6) month administration probation will be in effect for all new members. During this period,
you will be required to wear a blue stripe on your helmet. At the end of the first six (6) months you may, if all
training requirements have been met, remove the blue stripe. At the end of the twelve (12) month period, each
applicant will be reviewed by the officers for a final determination as to his/her continuation in the department
on a permanent basis.
The following guidelines must be met during this period. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN DISMISSAL.
1. Attend a minimum of 50% (fifty percent) of all scheduled monthly meetings.
2. Attend one Rowan County Fireman’s Association meeting. (3
Thursday of odd months at 7:30 PM)
Transportation will be provided.
3. Attend a special training class if one is held during this period. If not, then the first one available.
4. During this period, you will be required to begin training for, at least, a Medical Responder Medical
5. During this period, probationary personnel WILL NOT be allowed to drive any apparatus emergency
6. During this period, you will be instructed as per the Granite Quarry Fire Department’s Probationary
Firefighter Performance Objectives. You will need to read and become familiar with the department’s
Suggested Operating Guidelines (SOG’S) and be proficient in locating Granite Quarry streets and
7. Probationary firefighters WILL NOT be allowed to run red lights or emergency flashers on their
8. Probationary firefighters are not eligible for the annual Rookie Award or for participation in the town’s
funded pension program.
The firefighter will have the ultimate responsibility for contacting an officer to schedule training time. If work
schedules cause a conflict, he/she must contact the Chief.
Due to safety consideration, the Fire Department finds it necessary to enforce the following dress code:
• Facial hair in the seal area of SCBA will not be allowed.
• Hair must be kept off the collar.
• Earrings must not be worn during training or emergency calls.
The Granite Quarry Fire Department is proud of the moral character represented by its members. Good
judgment and common sense must prevail in all situations. All persons are to conduct themselves as
professionals at the station and on the fireground. Persons displaying undesirable contact or reflecting an
unfavorable image on the Department may be subject to suspension or dismissal.
STATEMENT: I HAVE READ THE GRANITE QUARRY FIRE DEPARTMENT’S PROBATIONARY
AGREEMENT AND UNDERSTAND WHAT IS EXPECTED OF ME DURING MY PROBATIONARY PERIOD.
FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIRED OBJECTIVES WILL RESULT IN MY DISMISSAL.
Signature of Applicant Date
Signature of Witnessing Officer Date