Full Name Student ID Number
Federal and state regulations require that students receiving financial aid maintain satisfactory academic progress
(SAP) toward the completion of a degree or certificate. This applies
to all financial aid programs including grants,
scholarships and loans. A copy of the Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy can be found
on the SMC website at https://www.swmich.edu/financialaid.
Evaluation of a student’s satisfactory academic progress is based on cumulative data, whether or not a student
received financial aid. According to SMC’s policy, you have lost your eligibility for future financial aid due to:
Failing to maintain a cumulative grade point average of less than 2.0 and/or
2. Failing to complete with a passing grade a minimum of 67% of all credit hours attempted, and/or
3. Attempting the maximum number of credit hours required for the published length of the degree or certificat
ogram (150% hours limit).
Use this form to appeal if you feel there were extenuating circumstances that caused the financial aid suspension.
The following items MUST be attached to this appeal form or it will not be considered:
• A typed, signed letter that explains, in detail, why you failed to maintain standards of Satisfactory
Academic Progress (SAP) or need additional credit hours to complete your degree.
1. What occurred
2. What circumstances have changed which you believe will now allow you to succeed
3. How you plan to be successful in future semesters if your appeal is approved
• Supporting documentation for extenuating circumstances (medical report, obituary, news articles, polic
fire department reports, etc.)
are reviewed by the Financial Aid Appeals Committee. Normally a decision is reached within 30 days.
Appeals must be received at least 7 calendar days prior to the start of the semester for guaranteed review. Appeals
received after that deadline may not be reviewed until the following semester. ALL APPEAL DECISIONS ARE
What degree/curriculum are you seeking to complete?
Type of A
ppeal (check one): GPA or cumulative pace of completion (#1 or #2 above)
150% Hours Limit (#3 above)
I certify that all of the information I have provided on this Appeal Form and all supporting documentation is true and
accurate to the best of my knowledge. I understand that I will be contacted in writing once my appeal has been
reviewed and that all decisions are final.
Financial Aid Suspension Appeal
Southwestern Michigan College Financial Aid Office
58900 Cherry Grove Road, Dowagiac, MI 49047
Phone: 269-783-2143 Fax: 269-783-2114
click to sign
click to edit