Financial Aid Office
2019-2020 Dependency Status Worksheet
Name Student ID# Phone Number
Required Documents
Orphan :
At any time since I was 13, I have been orphaned; both o f my biological
and/or adoptive parents are deceased.
Provide copies of parents’ death certificates or other official
documents, which confirm death.
Foster Care
At any time since I turned 13, I have been in Foster Care.
Provide legal documentation or a letter from the Department of
Social Services in your state of legal residence. Documentation must
confirm that you were in foster care at age 13 or older.
Dependent/Ward of Court:
At any time since I turned 13, I am or was a dependent or ward of the court.
Provide legal documentation or letter from the Department of Social
Services. Documentation must confirm you were a dependent or ward
of the court at age 13 or older.
Emancipated Minor:
I am an emancipated minor as determined by a court in my state of residence, or
I was emancipated or in a legal guardianship immediately before reaching the
age of adulthood in my state of
legal residence.
Provide a copy of the court’s decision and proof of state of legal
residency i.e.: drivers license, lease, high school transcript
Legal Guardianship:
I was and/or I am currently in a legal guardianship as determined by the court in
my state of legal residence.
Provide a copy of a court’s decision documenting you are in a legal
guardianship from the state of your residency. Custody is not
sufficient documentation.
Risk of Homelessness:
At any time on or after July 1, 2018 I received a determination that I
was an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or at risk of being homeless.
Provide documentation either of the following:
High school or school district homeless liaison
Director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing
program funded by the US Department of Housing and
Urban Development
Director of any runaway or homeless youth basic center or
transitional living program
I am under the age of 24, and have a legal dependent(s) whom I provide more than half of their support. Please list below, or on a
separate sheet of paper is additional space is needed.
Dependent Name Age: Relationship:
Dependent Nam Age: Relationship
If the person being claimed is not your biological child, be prepared to provide valid proof of legal dependency (i.e.
court documentation, birth certificate) if requested by financial aid administrators.
All information I am reporting on this document is true and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief. I understand that if I
knowingly give false or misleading information to qualify for Federal Aid, I may be fined, sentenced to jail, or both.
Student’s Signature
Please return this completed worksheet to:
Caldwell Campus
2855 Hickory Blvd.
Hudson, NC 28638
Fax: 828.726.2709
Watauga Campus
P.O. Box 3318
Boone, NC 28607
Fax: 828.297.1729
click to sign
click to edit