BEFORE you submit a complaint, we’ll:
9 Listen to understand your concerns
9 Discuss options for you to resolve your concern
9 Explain CPSA’s complaints process and how to submit a complaint
9 Provide you with forms, if necessary
AFTER you submit a complaint, we’ll:
9 Contact you to clarify any unclear issues or expectations in your complaint
so the Complaints Director can direct it appropriately
9 Attend any required meetings and provide you with support, when needed
9 Answer any questions you have while going through the complaints process
9 Help you understand the nal decision letter and any next steps
1. Will the physician know I’m making a complaint?
Yes. When we notify the physician that we received a complaint, we give them a copy of your
written complaint/complaint submission to review and if required, respond.
2. What is reviewed during an investigation?
We may collect medical records and interview any individuals who may have relevant information
about your complaint.
3. Can I be sued for ling a complaint?
No. However, if you distribute copies of the complaint to others, that may be considered libel and
may put you at risk legally.
4. Will I be nancially compensated if my complaint is upheld?
No. If you are looking for nancial compensation you should obtain legal advice.
5. How long does the complaints process take?
We strive to resolve complaints in a timely manner. However, reviewing a complaint can take
several months or years, depending on the complaint’s complexity, length of investigation and
availability of experts (if required).
6. What are possible outcomes of a complaint investigation?
• The complaint may be dismissed if evidence does not support the complaint or there was
insucient evidence to proceed.
• We may work with the physician to make necessary practice changes. This requires consent
from the complainant.
• The complaint may go to a formal hearing, which may result in discipline.
Contact a Patient Advocate - we can help!
Phone: 1-800-661-4689 (in Canada)
Monday to Friday, 8:15 AM – 4:15 PM (MST)