Students who are requesting a Fresh Start must demonstrate renewed academic motivation by passing the
first twelve (12) consecutive credits with a minimum GPA of 2.0 and a 100% completion prior to academic
forgiveness being granted.
Student Name:
Star ID/Student ID:
Street Address:
Email Address:
Currently enrolled students who have not attended any college or university for a period of three (3) years or more
may request selected prior NCTC coursework with grades of "D", “F”, “FN”, “FW”, “GH”, “I”, “NC” “W”, “Z”, be
excluded from their GPAs and percent completed calculations. Such courses and their actual grades appear on
the student’s academic record, but these letter grades are not calculated for GPA nor percent completed purposes.
Excluded courses cannot be used to satisfy any academic requirement (i.e. graduation). A student may use this
option only once.
Please list “D” courses you wish to keep. All other courses with grades noted above, shall automatically be
Name of Course
Office Use
Credits for which students have been granted a Fresh Start will be recorded and retained in the Student Data
System in such a way that they will be included in both the qualitative and/or quantitative measurements of financial
aid satisfactory academic progress, even though they no longer are considered part of the GPA or percent
completed shown on the student’s transcript.
________________________________________________ _______________________
Student Signature Date
________________________________________________ _______________________
Campus Registrar Signature Date Received
________________________________________________ _______________________
DARS Encoder Signature Date Received
Additional information regarding the Fresh Start may be found in the following policy at by selecting About, scroll down, and click on Policies and Procedures
3280 Fresh Start Policy
Northland Community and Technical College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and educator.
This document is available in alternative formats to individuals with disabilities, consumers with hearing or speech disabilities may contact us via their preferred
Telecommunications Relay Service by dialing 711 (toll-free nationwide).
1/30/20 bgh
click to sign
click to edit
click to sign
click to edit
click to sign
click to edit