FEDERAL ELECTION COMMISSION
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20463
Office of Inspector General
Updated February 2020
Completing the Hotline Complaint
a. Most individuals file complaints anonymously. This may impede an inquiry or
investigation and result in the case being closed due to insufficient information. It is
extremely important to provide detailed information; please be specific regarding the
subject, what was done, and when it was done. *The FEC Inspector General (IG) will
make every effort to protect the identity of all complainants, anonymous or
b. Even an anonymous complainant can be interviewed. Contact an IG staff member
with the subject and date of your complaint. Personal information will not be
requested; you will only be asked for additional data needed to pursue an inquiry or
investigation. If this isn’t a matter for the IG, you will be provided other options for
obtaining answers to your questions or complaint.
c. Government Employee or Private Citizen. Please complete this information as
appropriate. The information is only used to capture demographics and is not
included in the inquiry or investigative report.
2. Are you willing to be interviewed? Self-explanatory.
3. Contact Information. Self-explanatory.
4. Type of Complaint. Best categorize the issue of your complaint. If one cannot be
determined, select the box that states “Other.”
5. Who is the Subject(s)? Include the subject’s full name, position title, grade, and division
where the subject(s) works.
6. What is your relationship with the subject(s)? Provide how you know the subject(s), etc.
supervisor, colleague, team member, etc.
7. What did the subject do or fail to do that was wrong? Provide a description of what the
subject did from your perspective that constitutes fraud, waste, mismanagement, abuse,
or ethical violations performed by the FEC employee(s).
8. Was this previously reported? If not – why not? If yes, when and who did you speak
with, and what was the result.
9. When and where did it occur? Be as specific as possible; include dates, times, location.
If exact dates or times are unknown, please approximate.
10. Are there any witnesses? Provide the names and contact information of any witnesses
who may have seen or have first-hand knowledge of the allegation.