ENROLLMENT PLAN/VA CONTRACT
Guilford Technical Community College
P.O. Box 309, Jamestown, NC 27282 – (336)334-4822
Veterans Affairs Office
GTCC VETERANS CONTRACT
FOR STUDENTS USING VA EDUCATIONAL BENEFITS
The following rules and information are important to your certification and receipt of pay under your VA Educational
1. ALL Admissions requirements (i.e. application, transcripts, placement test(s), and evaluation of courses)
MUST be completed for continued certification by the GTCC VA Office.
2. Students who submit a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA to the school for Chapter 33 Post-9/11
GIBill will have their applicable portion of in-state costs paid to the school by the VA, provided they
have remaining entitlement. Voc Rehab Chapter 31, Children’s Scholarship, & Tuition Assistance
students (with approval letters on file) will have their tuition cost paid for by the respective entity
sponsoring the student. All other GI Bill Chapters & Veterans programs are responsible for their tuition on
the school’s due date. You cannot charge your tuition and fees to the school. Please allow 60 days for VA
Benefits to start.
3. Veterans are required to attend a First Advising session, when it is time to register for their first
semester at GTCC. Once you are advised and have registered, please inform the VA Office of your
completed and final schedule. Subsequent semesters will be automatically certified, unless you
notify the VA Office that you do not want to utilize your GI Bill for upcoming semesters.
4. The GTCC course catalog is the “Official” guide for your program. Any courses taken outside of the ones
listed under your program in the catalog are your financial responsibility. VA will not pay for “Non Credit
Courses”; courses previously passed with a “D” or better (unless a better grade is required by your program
for graduation); courses for which transfer credit has been granted; or courses passed by a proficiency
exam. If a course substitution is being granted, it must be approved by the Department Chair. A copy of the
course substitution must be provided to the Veterans Affairs Office. There will be NO certification for course
substitutions by the VA Office without a copy of the written approval.
5. Students who’s Program GPA (Grade Point Average) falls below the required 2.0, will be placed on
Academic Probation after 1 semester. If after the 2
semester of study, your GPA is still below 2.0, you will
be placed on Academic Suspension from Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits. The suspension will remain
in effect until the required 2.0 GPA has been achieved. (Please note, if you are utilizing financial aid in
conjunction with your veteran’s benefits, you will need to adhere to the rules and regulations for maintaining
Satisfactory Academic Progress as required by the financial aid policy.)
6. GTCC’s Veterans Affairs Office must promptly be informed of ANY and all changes to your schedule
or semester hours. This includes dropping a course, withdrawing from school or a program change. Failure
to follow proper procedures could result in a debt to the VA.
7. Veterans must notify the GTCC VA Office and Records Office of any address changes. You will also need to
notify the Regional Processing Office of these changes as well. You may contact them by phone at 1-888-
8. GTCC certifies students using the beginning and ending dates of the classes, including minimesters. If you
do not want to be certified for a semester, submit an e-mail to the GTCC VA Office for notification.
9. GTCC VA students taking classes at another institution (guess school), with the purpose of transferring
credit back to GTCC (parent school) will be considered a “VISITING” student at that institution. Students
must submit their registration receipt from the guest school to the VA Office at GTCC. The classes
registered for will be reviewed and, if those classes are eligible for transfer back to GTCC and applied to
your current program, a letter goes to the guest school to that effect. Upon receipt of the letter, the VA
representatives at the guest school will certify the eligible hours.
10. Incomplete Grades (“I”) must be completed during the first 14 weeks of the semester following the receipt of
the “I”. Students cannot register for any classes in which the received an “I”; until that “I” has become a
grade that is below the program requirement. Please note that failure to complete an “I” which is a pre-
requisite for a current class will cause you to be dropped from that class and the “I” will convert to an “F” and
factored into your GPA.
11. Tutorial Assistance is available for all Chapters of VA Educational Benefits. If needed, see the VA Office.
12. VA students are subject ALL rules and regulations stated in the GTCC catalog. READ AND KNOW
13. Chapter 30 and 1606 MUST verify your attendance each month online at www.gibill.va.gov/wave or by
phone at 877-823-2378. Not doing so may cause a delay in payment.
Welcome to GTCC!