SUMMER SCHOOL OR JANUARY-TERM COURSES AT DOMESTIC INSTITUTION
GENERAL CRITERIA FOR TRANSFER CREDIT
College level course work will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
1. Must be listed on an official transcript of an accredited institution
2. Must be a minimum of 3 credit hours
3. Must indicate a grade of C or better (2.00 on a 4.00 scale)
4. Must have liberal arts content
5. Must be offered in a setting which allows for interaction between student and instructor (i.e. no credit will be awarded for
correspondence, on-line, internships, or one-way video courses)
1. You may attend a summer or a winter session at another institution in the United States or abroad, provided that:
a. You are in good academic standing i.e., have a CUM 2.00 gpa or better, and
b. The other institution is accredited and has been approved by Dickinson College (check with the Registrar’s Office).
2. In order to assure credit transfer you must secure prior approval of courses.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you do not complete the approval process before you leave campus, you run the risk of not
receiving approval for your course(s).
3. To secure approval, complete the attached Enrollment in Another Institution form:
a. List all courses to be taken (indicate any alternate choices).
b. Attach a photocopy of the official course description.
c. Obtain the signature of the appropriate Dickinson Department Chair/Official (refer to the list on the Registrar’s web
page - http://www.dickinson.edu/info/20088/registrar_s_office/456/requirements_and_electives
) for all courses that you
wish to count for a major/minor/certificate or graduation requirement (including Global Diversity, US Diversity, Arts,
d. Sign and date the enrollment form.
e. Secure your academic advisor’s signature.
f. Submit the form to the Registrar’s Office.
4. You will be notified regarding final approval or denial within 10 days of receipt of form in the Registrar’s Office.
1. As soon as the summer session or January term is over, it is your responsibility to see that the institution you attended sends an
official transcript of your academic work to the Registrar’s Office at Dickinson College.
NOTE: If you have an official transcript sent directly to you to submit to the Dickinson College Registrar’s Office,
please do not open the envelope. Dickinson College cannot accept transcripts that have been opened.
2. You will receive only transfer credit, i.e., grades earned at another institution will not count in your cumulative grade point
average. (Exception: Courses taken at a Central Pennsylvania Consortium College during a fall/spring semester.)
NOTE: Courses may not be taken pass/fail unless it can be documented that pass is equivalent to a grade of “C” or better.
AMOUNT OF CREDIT
1. You may receive up to a total of four (4) transfer credits for summer and/or January study at other approved institutions. (You
may take courses during one or more summer and January sessions as long as the total number of transfer credits do not
exceed four (4) courses).
2. If you wish to receive more than four (4) transfer course credits for summer and January study at other approved institutions, you
must obtain prior approval from the College. Please contact the Registrar’s Office for details on how to obtain this
PLEASE NOTE: The maximum number of courses that can be transferred to Dickinson College is 16. College regulations require
a student to complete at least 16 courses on campus, including 6 of the last 8, or the last 4.