STATEMENT OF UNDERSTANDING/AGREEMENT BETWEEN
EAST TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY AND
1. The volunteer understands that he/she is not to be considered an employee, agent or independent contractor
employed by the University for any purpose of this assignment. The volunteer acknowledges that he/she will
neither accept nor claim entitlement to any salary/benefits of employment, including but not limited to insurance,
retirement benefits, worker's compensation, travel expenses, or any other form of compensation of any kind.
2. The volunteer understands that he/she has no actual authority to bind or represent the University with regard to
any third parties. Moreover, the volunteer agrees to avoid giving the impression of having apparent authority to
bind or represent the University with regard to third parties. Accordingly, the volunteer may not sign or enter
into any agreement or contracts on behalf of the University.
3. The volunteer understands that provisions of the Tennessee Code Annotated [T.C.A. § 9-8-307(h) and T.C.A. §
8-42.101(3)(B)] extend certain protections to individuals who are participants in volunteer programs which are
operated under the authorization of a state agency or department. For actions taken in the course of performing
volunteer services, which are neither willful, malicious nor criminal, or acts or omissions done for personal gain,
an authorized volunteer is immune from suit in the same manner as state employees. Persons injured by the
actions of a volunteer are able to file a claim directly against the state.
4. The volunteer acknowledges that the University shall have no liability for personal injury or property damage
which may be suffered by the volunteer, unless such injury or damage directly results from the negligent act or
omissions of state employees or authorized volunteers. Any and all negligence claims shall be expressly limited
to claims approved by the Claims Commission.
5. The volunteer acknowledges that he/she may not operate automotive or other state-owned equipment of the
University without specific written authorization of the President of the University.
6. The volunteer and the University agree that no person shall be subjected to discrimination on the basis of race,
color, religion, sex, age, handicap, or national origin in the execution or performance of this Agreement.
7. East Tennessee State University, the Tennessee Board of Regents, the State of Tennessee and their
respective employees shall have no liability unless specifically provided for in this Agreement.
8. This agreement may be terminated at any time upon written notice of the volunteer or the President of
East Tennessee State University.
I have read and understand the above statement/agreement and agree to abide by its terms and conditions while
I am participating in volunteer activities at East Tennessee State University.
This agreement is effective from (date) to (date).
Name of VoIunteer:
Volunteer’s Physical Address:
City State Zip Code
Signature of Volunteer Date
*If a minor (16-18 years of age), a parent must also sign.
Recommendation of Approval of Statement of Understanding/Agreement
Name of Supervisor: Supervisor Phone #:
(please print or type)
Supervisor of Volunteer: Date
Department: Campus Box:
Background Check Needed? YES/NO Completed by: Date:
Approval of Statement of Understanding/Agreement
Human Resources: Date