Fair Housing Impact Statement for the Analysis of Impediments
Waukesha County 2020--2024
Action Items to Address Impediments
7. Adopt inclusionary zoning provisions, such as higher density allowances and a waiver
or modification of other development standards where certain set-asides are made for
affordable housing for moderate and low-income families.
o support higher density residential development, expand sanitary sewer services
consistent with adopted Regional Sewer Service Plans.
n municipalities served by sewer service, allow for the development of multi-family
housing at a density of at least 10 units per acre.
1. In municipalities served by sewer service, allow for the development of new single-
family and two-family homes on lots of 10,000 square feet or smaller.
8. Adopt flexible zoning regulations such as PUD and TND to permit higher densities and
a mix of housing types.
Describe in the "Community Narrative" section the actions taken from the "2020 Intentions" column and select two items to address in 2021; return this document to Waukesha County by February 2021. The "Currently Meeting" column shows which
action items your specific municipality has already addressed. Add additional information in the "Other" section.
Please review the 2020--2024 Regional Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing, located at http://www.waukeshacounty.gov/community development for more information.
Impediments to Fair Housing
2. Allow for home sizes less than 1,200 square feet.
Impediment #3: Restrictive local land use
regulations and other ordinances
1. Offer financial incentives, or help to connect to incentives like HOME and CDBG, to
encourage the development of affordable housing in low poverty/high opportunity
2. Encourage proper maintenance of privately owned affordable rental housing.
: Lack of regionally dispersed
1. Participate at a local or regional level in a housing plan process that expand housing
options for low and moderate income people.
2. Participate in regional housing mobility programs.
Impediment #1: Lack of a regional housing
strategy or plan
5. Amend design regulations to promote flexibility in development and construction
6. Communities with sewer service should designate recommended Mixed Use areas on
local land use plan mapping and provide for multi-family housing within Mixed Use
zoning categories to increase supply of multi-family housing.
Impediment #4: Restrictive zoning
regulations for group homes and
community living facilities
1. Develop a diversity awareness curriculum for staff, and fair housing training for key
2. Provide training programs for local leaders, elected officials and general public on the
benefits of population and housing diversity.
Impediment #5: Prevalent "fear of others"
exists among residents, including NIMBYism
2. Consider amending local ordinances to allow community living arrangements to be
located less than 2500’ feet from another such facility.
1. Review community living arrangements / group home sections of zoning ordinances
to determine if the regulations limit development of these facilities and make