N9B Defence and Counterclaim (specied amount) (08.18) © Crown copyright 2018
Defence and Counterclaim
3. Defence (If you need to continue on a separate sheet put the claim number in the top right hand corner.)
• Fill in this form if you wish to dispute all or part of the claim
and/or make a claim against the claimant (counterclaim).
• You have a limited number of days to complete and
return this form to the court.
• Before completing this form, please read the notes for
guidance attached to the claim form.
• Please ensure that all boxes at the top right of this form
are completed. You can obtain the correct names and
number from the claim form. The court cannot trace your
case without this information.
How to ll in this form
• Complete sections 1 and 2. Tick the correct boxes and
give the other details asked for.
• Set out your defence in section 3. If necessary continue
on a separate piece of paper making sure that the claim
number is clearly shown on it. In your defence you must
state which allegations in the particulars of claim you
deny and your reasons for doing so. If you fail to deny
an allegation it may be taken that you admit it.
1. How much of the claim do you dispute?
I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on
the claim form.
I admit the amount of
If you dispute only part of the claim you must either:
• pay the amount admitted to the person named
at the address for payment on the claim form
(see How to Pay in the notes on the back of,
or attached to, the claim form). Then send this
defence to the court
• complete the admission form and this defence
form and send them to the court.
I paid the amount admitted on
I enclose the completed form of admission
(go to section 2)
• If you dispute only some of the allegations you must
- specify which you admit and which you deny; and
- give your own version of events if different from the
• If you wish to make a claim against the claimant
(a counterclaim) complete section 4.
• Complete and sign section 5 before sending this form to
the court. Keep a copy of the claim form and this form.
Name of court
2. Do you dispute this claim because you have
already paid it? Tick whichever applies
No (go to section 3)
Yes I paid to the claimant
(before the claim form was issued)
Give details of where and how you paid it in the
box below (then go to section 5)
(continue over the page)