Revised May 26, 2017
Declaration of Legal Presence in the United States
For Students in Credit Programs at Greenville Technical College
As of June 4, 2008, the South Carolina Illegal Immigration Reform Act (S. C. Code Ann. §59-101-430 (Westlaw 2008))
prohibits those unlawfully present in the United States from attending a public institution of higher education in South
Carolina and from receiving a public higher education benefit:
• An alien unlawfully present in the United States is not eligible to attend a public institution of higher learning in this
State, as defined in Section 59-103-5. The trustees of a public institution of higher learning in this State shall
develop and institute a process by which lawful presence in the United States is verified. In doing so, institution
personnel shall not attempt to independently verify the immigration status of any alien, but shall verify any alien’s
immigration status with the federal government pursuant to 8 U.S.C. Section 1373©.
• An alien unlawfully present in the United States is not eligible on the basis of residence for a public higher education
benefit including, but not limited to, scholarships, financial aid, grants, or resident tuition.
Your documents will be verified through Government Databases.
I am a United States Citizen
I am not a United States Citizen
By signing this statement, I attest and can prove that I am either a United States Citizen or a Non- United States Citizen
lawfully present in the United States. In addition, Greenville Technical College will require you to submit documentation
that supports your claim for lawful presence. Any student who is found to be unlawfully present in the United States will
be dismissed from the college.
Note: This form will not be accepted nor processed without a government issued photo ID and your signature.
Print Full Name:
Student ID (if known): Date of Birth:
All students must provide required documentation as evidence of US Legal Presence. Please select one of the options below:
Current Valid Government-Issued Photo ID: Unexpired DMV Issued Driver’s License/Beginners Permit or State ID, or CDL.
State___________ DL#_________________________ Expiration ____________
United States Passport: Expiration Date ________________
Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (USCIS issued Form N-560 or Form N-561) and a Current Valid Government-Issued Photo ID
Certification of Naturalization (USCIS issued Form N-550 or N-570) and a Current Valid Government-Issued Photo ID
Permanent resident must provide one of the following and a Current Valid Government-Issued Photo ID:
• Permanent Resident Card issued since 1997; Resident Alien Card (I-551) issued before 1997; Alien Registration Receipt
Card (I-551) issued before June 1978;
• Letter from USCIS documenting that permanent resident status has been approved
Legal immigrant and non-immigrant foreign nationals must provide one of the following and a Current Valid
Government-Issued Photo ID:
• Current/valid Visa or Passport
• Current/valid Refugee, Asylee, or Parolee documentation
• Current/valid Documents for Other Legal Statuses
• Deferred Action Recipients: Employment Authorization Card or Approval Letter from USCIS (I797)
Submit this completed form and a legible copy of documentation selected above using one of the following methods:
• by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
• by mail to Greenville Technical College – MS 6035, POB 5616, Greenville, SC 29606
• in person at the Admissions office in McAlister Square or Student Services at any campus (Bring original document(s) and
photo ID – we will make a copy.)
Click here to print your completed form, then sign and submit with documentation using one of the options below.