I understand that I am responsible for all of the information given on this form
and that the information I have given is true and complete.
Signature of applicant
Establishments used for the breeding of dogs are controlled by the Breeding of Dogs Act 1973 and 1991and the Breeding
and sale of Dogs (Welfare) Act 1999.
No person may keep a breeding establishment without first obtaining a licence from their Local Authority. The licence lasts
for one year. Before the renewal date, Renfrewshire Council will write to you informing you that the licence is due to be
renewed asking you to complete a licence renewal form. Following this, an inspection will be carried out by an Officer and
when the Officer is satisfied that the conditions have been met, a new licence will be issued.
Before being granted a licence the applicant must be able to demonstrate to the Council's officer:
• that the dogs will at all times be kept in accommodation that is suitable in respect of
construction, size of quarters, number of occupants, exercising facilities, temperature, lighting, ventilation and
• that the dogs will be adequately supplied with suitable food, drink and bedding material, adequately exercised,
and (so far as is necessary) visited at suitable intervals
• that all reasonable precautions will be taken to prevent and control the spread amongst the dogs of infectious or
contagious diseases, including the provision of isolation facilities
• that appropriate steps will be taken for the protection of the dogs in case of fire or other emergency, including the
provision of suitable and sufficient fire fighting equipment
• that all appropriate steps will be taken to ensure that the dogs will be provided with suitable food drink and
bedding material and adequately exercised when being transported to or from the breeding establishment
Each licence is subject to standard conditions that are imposed on all dog-breeding establishments licensed by
Renfrewshire Council. In addition to the standard conditions a licence may also contain special conditions that are only
applicable to your premises.
The following offences apply to the breeding of dogs.
• Anybody found guilty of keeping dog breeding establishment without a licence may be subject to a fine not
• Anybody found guilty of failing to comply with the conditions of their licence may be subject to a fine not
• Anybody found guilty of obstructing or delaying an Inspector or authorised Veterinary Surgeon or Veterinary
Practitioner in the exercising of their powers may be fined up to a maximum of £1,000.
• If found guilty under this Act, the defendant's licence may be cancelled and they may be disqualified from keeping
a dog breeding establishment for such length of time as the Court thinks fit.
The current annual fee for a dog breeders licence is £66.85.
Please refer to www.renfrewshire.gov.uk for fee if applying after 1 April.
SEND NO PAYMENT WITH YOUR APPLICATION
AN INVOICE WILL BE ISSUED
Please return this application to: Or submit by email if completing online
Please direct any questions or comments about this form to
Renfrewshire Trading Standards
Telephone: 0300 300 0380 email: firstname.lastname@example.org