Contra Costa College: HBCU SPRING 2020 TOUR
Application due November 26, 2019
The Application Process:
The HBCU Tour Committee will review applications and select participants. Depending
on the number and quality of applications received, applicants may be required to
participate in an interview. Please reserve either the week of Dec16 – 19 or January 6 – Jan
10, 2020 for potential interviews with the HBCU selection committee.
Minimum Eligibility criteria include:
• Completed 12 or more transferable units by Summer 2019 (students with more transfer
units will have higher priority);
• Enrolled in/completion of English 1A or a transferable Math
• 2.5 CUMULATIVE TRANSFERABLE GPA or higher at the time of application &
maintained through final Fall semester 2019 grades. (students with higher GPAs will have
• Enrolled in at least 9 TRANSFERABLE units from Contra Costa College for Fall
2019 & Spring 2020;
• Be in Good academic and disciplinary standing at Contra Costa College;
• Show genuine interest in attending a HBCU through written portion of Personal
Statement Essay (500 – 750 words);
• 1 Letter of Recommendation from a CCC faculty in your MAJOR of STUDY;
• MUST attend at least 1 GET ON THE BUS – local campus tours during Fall 2017
o Friday, September 27
– Sacramento State
o Friday, October
– UC Santa Cruz
o Friday, November 1st - Mills College (Women and gender binary students)
o Friday November 22nd - Standford (Tentative)
o Friday, December 6th – Samuel Merritt (Nursing students only)
APPLICATION & SELECTION TIMELINE
Sept 3, 2019: Applications will be available to students.
November 26, 2019 (no later than 5pm): Completed Applications must be submitted to Andrea Phillips,
Counselor/Transfer Coordinator, in the Student and Administration Building Room 227 (SAB-227).
Week of Dec 16, 2020: - Email notification for applicant interviews (location & time TBA).
Week of January 6, 2020: Applicant interviews
Week of January 13, 2020 – Final notification emails sent to students selected to participate.
January 27, 2020 (First week of school): Deadline to confirm participation, complete pre-trip survey and sign
financial agreement. (TBA)
February 13, 2020 (no later than 2pm): Deadline to cancel participation must be submitted in writing/typed
to Andrea Phillips, Counselor/Transfer Coordinator, in the Student and Administration Building Room 227.
Pre - Departure MANDATORY Orientation (EST Tour Company): TBA
Pre - Departure MANDATORY Family Orientation: TBA