Connect & Reflect | Virtual Session
May 2020 with Staff Success Center
Topic: Amazing Teams at Work: How to Be a Great Team Player
Connect & Reflect sessions are informal get-togethers, where we discuss the provided resource that will
lead to some beneficial takeaways. Join us every third Thursday of the month! For this month’s session,
Patrick Lencioni thinks it is time to change the way we prepare people for success. Drawing from his
book, The Ideal Team Player, Lencioni makes the compelling case that the key to success in an
increasingly team-oriented world is being humble, hungry, and smart.
Note: The April session is held virtually via Microsoft Teams.
I really believe that the world would be a better place, that our companies would
be better places, our families would be better, and the individuals in society
would be better if more of us were humble, hungry, and smart.
~ Patrick Lencioni
1. Watch the Are you an ideal team player? TED Talk from minute 4:54 to 11:08.
2. Discuss the questions below.
• How do you cultivate humility in yourself?
• How can you gain humility without becoming a pushover?
• How do you “keep yourself hungry” without getting burnt out?
• When someone pretends that they are humble, hungry, or smart what impact does that have on those
• How can you approach someone with humility who needs development in one of these virtues?
• What might change about your team if each person assessed their weakest virtue, shared with the
team, and everyone shared strategies for becoming better in each area?
• What virtue do you need the most growth in?
• Join the Teams Meeting through the link or call-in number provided in the
calendar invite sent to you.
• Don’t forget to add this event in the Be Well UC portal to get points.
• Spread the word! If you enjoyed today’s session, please share
http://bit.ly/UC-CR with a co-worker and bring them along next time!