Connect & Reflect | Virtual Session
April 2020 with Staff Success Center
Topic: The Surprising Habits of Original Thinkers
Connect & Reflect sessions are informal get-togethers, where we discuss the provided resource that will
lead to some beneficial takeaways. Join us every third Thursday of the month! For this month’s session,
we will explore benefits and strategies for innovative thinking. Organizational psychologist Adam Grant
studies "originals": thinkers who dream up new ideas and take action to put them into the world. In this
TEDtalk, learn three unexpected habits of originals — including embracing failure.
Note: The April session is held virtually via Microsoft Teams.
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square
holes. The ones who see things differently … The people who are crazy enough to think they can
change the world are the ones who do.
~ Steve Jobs
In Today’s Session
1. Read this resource to prepare for our discussion today: https://bit.ly/2QHX0JE
2. Answer the questions about the resource below.
3. Participate in the discussion about this month’s topic.
• How do creative people come up with great ideas?
• What are some of qualities of original thinkers?
• "The greatest originals are the ones who fail the most because they're the ones who try the most.
You need a lot of bad ideas in order to get a few good ones." What do you think of Adam Grant’s
• What are the surprising habits of original thinkers?
• How can an organization encourage original thinking?
• What can we learn from original thinkers and how can we implement their ideas to our
• Don’t forget to add this event in the Be Well UC portal at http://bit.ly/alyfe
to get points.
• Spread the word! If you enjoyed today’s session, please share http://bit.ly/UC-CR with a co-worker
and bring them along next time!