© 2017 Cengage Learning. All Rights Reserved. May not be scanned, copied or duplicated, or posted to a publicly accessible website, in whole or in part.
Name: __________________________________________ Date: _____________ Score: _____________
Procedure 39–10 Steps
Start Time: End Time: Total Time:
1. Identify patient, introduce yourself, and explain the
rationale for performance of the procedure. Show
awareness of the patient’s concerns related to the
procedure being performed. Incorporate critical
thinking skills when performing patient assessment
2. Assemble all needed items on a Mayo tray near the
end of the examination table.
3. Plug in cord of light source to make sure it works
properly; then turn it off.
4. Instruct the patient to disrobe from the waist down and
let you know when he or she is ready. Assist the
patient to sit at the end of the table and cover him or
her with the drape sheet for privacy.
5. Wash hands and put on gloves. 15
6. Just before the provider is ready to begin the exam,
assist the patient into a knee-chest or Sims’ position,
whichever the provider prefers.
7. Assist the provider by applying about two tablespoons
of lubricant on gauze square for the tip of the gloved
8. As the provider finishes the digital exam, plug the
sigmoidoscope into the light source. Secure the air-
inflation tubing and have it ready to hand to the
provider; activate the switches for air inflation and
9. As the provider inserts the sigmoidoscope, be ready to
hand items as needed.
10. Be prepared to rinse the suction tip in water if it
11. If biopsy is indicated, hand biopsy forceps to the
provider and have a specimen container open so the
provider can place tissue in it. Place the cap on the
12. Use tissues to clean lubricant and waste from the
patient’s anal area and discard it into the waste
13. Place a small pad or dressing over the anal area in case
of light bleeding.
14. Assist the patient to resting prone position (or return
table to starting position).
15. Assist the patient to a sitting position, allowing time
for balance to return before helping him or her down
from the table. Instruct the patient to dress.