© 2017 Cengage Learning. All Rights Reserved. May not be scanned, copied or duplicated, or posted to a publicly accessible website, in whole or in part.
Name: __________________________________________ Date: _____________ Score: _____________
Procedure 38–1 Steps
Start Time: End Time: Total Time:
1. Prepare the examination room as in Procedure 37–1. 15
2. Review the patient’s chart for completed history and
the physical examination form.
3. Wash hands. 15
4. Prepare the examination equipment on the Mayo
tray in order of use and cover with a towel.
Incorporate critical thinking skills when
performing patient assessment and care.
5. Pull out the step from the table. Place a gown and
drape on the table.
6. Identify the patient, introduce yourself, check the
chart, and explain to the patient the rationale for
performance of the procedure; use medical
terminology correctly and pronounced accurately to
communicate information to providers and the
7. Measure and record vital signs, height, and weight. 15
8. Instruct the patient to go to the bathroom to empty
9. Instruct the patient to remove clothing and place it
on a chair, to put on the gown with the opening
(according to the provider’s preference), to sit at the
end of the table, and to cover the legs with the
10. Ensure that the patient is ready and notify the
11. Assist the provider as needed with the examination.
Position and drape the patient, adjust lights, and
hand equipment as appropriate for each body
12. When the exam is completed, allow the patient to
relax a moment and then help to sitting position.
13. Provide tissues to remove excess lubricant and
instruct the patient to dress.
14. Take specimens from the room to the laboratory for
15. Return to the room, provide patient instructions, and
see the patient out.
16. Properly clean the room and prepare it for the next
17. Give the room a visual check for completeness. 5
Points Awarded / Points Possible ____/