© 2017 Cengage Learning. All Rights Reserved. May not be scanned, copied or duplicated, or posted to a publicly accessible website, in whole or in part.
Name: __________________________________________ Date: _____________ Score: _____________
Procedure 37–3 Steps
Start Time: End Time: Total Time:
1. Reposition the chair and lock the wheels. Incorporate
critical thinking skills in performing patient
assessment and care.
2. Assist the patient to a sitting position on the table. 15
Explain to the patient the rationale for performance of
the procedure, outlining what you will do and enlisting
the patient’s help. Assist the patient to dress if needed.
4. Apply a gait belt to the patient. 15
5. Use proper body mechanics; move so you are directly in
front of the patient. Grasp the patient on the sides by the
waist, parallel to below the armpits, by placing your
hands under the gait belt. Plant your feet a shoulder’s
width apart and bend your knees. Ask the patient to put
his or her hands on your shoulders. Assist the patient to
step onto the floor (or have a stepstool in place if the
table cannot be lowered to chair height).
6. Support the patient into a standing position on the stool
or floor. (If using a stool, help the patient step down
from the stool.) Sidestep or pivot the patient to a
position in front of the chair.
7. Have the patient reach back to the arms of the chair as
you help lower him or her into the chair. Ensure that the
patient is comfortably seated.
8. Remove the gait belt from the patient and adjust the
9. Unlock the wheels and return the patient to the reception
Points Awarded / Points Possible _____/