© 2017 Cengage Learning. All Rights Reserved. May not be scanned, copied or duplicated, or posted to a publicly accessible website, in whole or in part.
Name: __________________________________________ Date: _____________ Score: _____________
Procedure 37–2 Steps
Start Time: End Time: Total Time:
1. Unlock the wheels of the chair and wheel the patient to
the examination room. Incorporate critical thinking
skills in performing patient assessment and care.
2. Position the chair as near as possible to the place you
want the patient to sit on the table. Lock the wheels on
3. Lower the table to chair level. 15
Explain to the patient the rationale for performance of
the procedure. Apply the gait belt and fold the footrests
5. Stand directly in front of the patient with your feet
6. Use proper body mechanics; bend your knees and have
the patient place his or her hands on your shoulders
while you place your hands under the gait belt and assist
the patient to a standing position.
7. Maintaining the position of your hands, pivot or sidestep
to a position beside the table.
8. Place one foot slightly behind you for support and help
the patient to a sitting position on the table.
9. If it is necessary to use a stool, determine the assistance
required and enlist the needed help before taking the
patient from the wheelchair.
10. While supporting the patient, stabilize the stool by
placing your feet on the outside next to the legs and
assist the patient to step onto the stool.
11. Assist the patient to sit on the table. 15
12. If the patient needs assistance to lie down, place one
hand around the patient’s back. Help the patient raise his
or her legs to the table by placing your free arm under
his or her legs and lifting them as the patient turns.
13. Place a pillow under the patient’s head. Drape the
14. Unlock the chair wheels and move the chair out of the
Points Awarded / Points Possible _____/