© 2017 Cengage Learning. All Rights Reserved. May not be scanned, copied or duplicated, or posted to a publicly accessible website, in whole or in part.
Name: __________________________________________ Date: _____________ Score: _____________
Procedure 35–1 Steps
Start Time: End Time: Total Time:
Demonstrate sensitivity to patient rights.
2. Review any completed office forms, including the
HIPAA authorization agreement.
3. Call the patient by name from the reception room. 15
Demonstrate the principles of self-boundaries.
5. Restate the patient’s name and introduce yourself. 15
6. Explain what you will be doing and request
participation. Incorporate critical thinking skills when
performing patient assessment and care.
7. Ask what brings the person to the office today.
Demonstrate empathy, active listening, and nonverbal
8. Use questioning to focus on the CC, its characteristics,
and any related symptoms.
9. Identify and record any secondary concerns. 15
10. Ask the patient whether he or she is taking any
11. Ask the patient whether he or she has any allergies. 15
12. Reconfirm the CC, symptoms, and any other concerns
with the patient.
13. Record the CC statement and related information on the
chart or EMR.
14. Set up the room according to the patient’s complaint,
demonstrating time management and anticipation skills.
15. Dismiss yourself in a professional manner and indicate
to the patient the approximate wait time.
16. Notify the provider that the patient is ready to be seen. 15
Points Awarded / Points Possible _____/