Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Motor Vehicle Crash Operator Report
When should I complete a Crash Report?
M.G.L. Chapter 90, Section 26 requires a person who was operating a motor vehicle involved in a crash in which (i) any
person was killed or (ii) injured or (iii) in which there was damage in excess of $1,000 to any one vehicle or other property,
to complete and le a Crash Operator Report with the Registrar within ve (5) days after such crash (unless the person is
physically incapable of doing so due to incapacity). The person completing the report must also send a copy of the report
to the police department having jurisdiction on the way where the crash occurred. If the operator is incapacitated but is not
the vehicle’s owner, the owner is required to le the crash report within the ve (5) days based on his/her knowledge and
information obtained about the crash. The Registrar may require the owner or operator to supplement the report and he/
she can revoke or suspend the license of any person violating any provision of this legal requirement. A police department
is required to accept a report led by an owner or operator whose vehicle has been damaged in a crash in which another
person unlawfully left the scene even if damage to the vehicle does not exceed $1,000.
Mail or deliver one copy to the
local police department or state
police in the city or town where
the crash occurred.
Mail one copy to your
Mail one copy to the RMV at
the following address:
Registry of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 55889
Boston, MA 02205-5889
How To Complete This Form
Please carefully complete all sections of this form that apply to your crash, circling the answer where appropriate. Illegible
reports will be returned to you.
Where to send completed reports:
Section A: Crash Location
• Provide the city/town where the crash occurred,
the date and time of the crash, and the number of
• Complete section A1 or A2.
• Use ocial names of all locations, streets and
• Use street name and route #, if applicable.
• Be as precise as possible when describing the
• Provide enough information to locate the crash to a
specic point, not just a street or roadway.
Section B: Vehicle Yon Were Driving
• Provide information on your license and the vehicle
you were driving.
• Use the codes provided to indicate the cause of the
Section C: You and Your Passengers
• Provide information on you and your passengers at
the time of the crash.
• Use the codes provided to indicate occupant
Section D: Other Vehicles Involved in the Crash
• Provide information on the other vehicle(s) and
operator(s) involved in the crash.
• If more than one vehicle involved, please use
additional form completing Section D only.
Section E: Non-Motorist(s) Involved
• Provide information on the non-motorist(s) involved in
• If more than one non-motorist involved, please use
additional form completing Section E only.
Section F: Crash Conditions
• Use the codes provided to indicate the conditions at
the time of the crash.
Section G: Crash Diagram
• Draw a diagram of how the crash occurred.
• On the diagram, Vehicle 1 represents your vehicle.
Section H: Witness Information
• List all the people who saw the crash but were not
Section I: Property Damage Information
• Indicate all non-vehicular property that was damaged
in the crash.
Section J: Description of What Happened
• Describe the crash including events prior to the crash
for your vehicles and all other vehicles.
Section K: Signature
• Please sign and print your name and indicate the date
you completed the form.