CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
BUREAU OF FIREARMS
Collector In-State Acquisition
of Curio or Relic Long Gun Report
STATE OF CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
BOF 961 (Rev. 01/2020) PAGE 2 of 4
Collector In-State Acquisition of Curio or Relic Long Gun Report Requirements
Federally licensed collectors (FFL type 03) in California who have a current COE may acquire curio or relic long guns from non-licensees
without completing the transfer through a licensed firearms dealer only if he/she completes and submits this report to the California
Department of Justice within thirty (30) days of taking possession of the long gun. Your failure to comply with this reporting
requirement could result in criminal prosecution. (Pen. Code, §§ 27590 & 27966)
The following must be submitted with your application and mailed to the Department of Justice, Bureau of Firearms-C&R, P.O. Box
820200, Sacramento CA 94203-0200:
o $19.00 processing fee (check or money order made payable to the Department of Justice) (Pen. Code, § 28230, (a)(3))
o A copy of your California driver license or identification card. (Cal. Code Reg., tit. 11, § 4045.1)
o If your driver license or identification card has “FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY” on the front, you shall also submit proof of lawful
presence in the United States, in the form of one of the following documents:
(1) Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card.
(2) Certified copy of U.S. birth certificate (issued by a city, county, or state vital statistics office). "Abbreviated" or "Abstract"
certificates are NOT accepted.
(3) Certification of Birth Abroad (FS-545), Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350) or Consular Report of Birth
Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (FS-240), issued by the U.S. Department of State.
(4) Valid, unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. immigrant visa and approved Record of Arrival/Departure (I-94) form.
(5) Certified copy of birth certificate from a U.S. Territory.
(6) Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. Citizenship.
(7) Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card. (Cal. Code Reg., tit. 11, § 4045.1)
o If your name, as it appears on the “FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY” driver license or identification card, differs from the name on
the document(s) above, you shall also submit one of the following certified documents:
(1) An adoption document that contains your legal name as a result of the adoption.
(2) A name change document that contains your legal name both before and, as a result of, the name change.
(3) A marriage certificate.
(4) A dissolution of marriage document that contains your legal name as a result of the court action.
(5) A certificate, declaration or registration document verifying the formation of a domestic partnership.
(6) A dissolution of domestic partnership document that contains your legal name as a result of the court action. (Cal. Code
Reg., tit. 11, § 4045.1)
Complete all required information. Incomplete reports submitted without the proper fees and documentation will be returned without
processing. If reporting more than three firearms, attach additional copies of this report as needed. A firearms eligibility check will be
conducted to determine whether you are lawfully eligible to possess firearms. Once approved, you will receive a confirmation notice of your
Collector In-State Acquisition of Curio or Relic Long Gun Report.
This report may not be used to report ownership of assault weapons defined in Penal Code sections 30510 through 30530. It is the
responsibility of the applicant to determine if the firearm being reported is an assault weapon. A list of assault weapons is available on the
Bureau of Firearms website at www.oag.ca.gov/firearms