© PROJECT LEARNING TREE | Carbon & Climate E-Unit | The Carbon Cycle
Carbon Cycle in Action
Selected Green Space:
land covered by trees
(0%, 25%, 50%, 75%,
of carbon stored
(high, medium, low,
Changes to landscape
since previous date
1. Choose a green space near your home or school.
Look up your selected location on Google Earth.
2. Use the Historical Imagery Tool ( ) to
investigate changes in this location over time.
3. Fill in today’s date in the ﬁrst box on the line
4. Identify the earliest available data set for this
green space, and enter that date into the last row
of the chart.
5. Choose two additional dates that are evenly
spaced between the ﬁrst and last date.
6. Using these four dates, complete the following
chart and answer the questions on the next page.
1 of 2