COMMERCIAL INSPECTION REQUIREMENTS
1. FOOTING INSPECTION-
• Prior to pouring concrete
• Re-bar and reinforcement tied and in place
• Footings free of debris, organic material and water
• Concrete shall not be placed on frozen soil
• In cold weather pours, insulating or thermal blankets must be on
site to protect from freezing
2. PRE-SLAB INSPECTION-
• Required for all interior slab areas
• Perimeter insulation installed prior to pouring slab
• Plastic vapor barrier installed and in place
• Welded Wire Fabric or Fiber Mesh as per approved plans
3. BUILDING WRAP/FRAMING INSPECTION-
• Building wrap inspection may be scheduled before the
framing inspection as a separate inspection.
• Building is weather tight (roof covering & building wrap)
• Electrical and plumbing rough ins complete with stickers on site
• Draftstopping and fireblocking completed w/ approved material
• Certifications for pre-engineered products on site
• Framing inspection BEFORE exterior coverings installed
• No insulation is to be installed before framing inspection
• Pole building construction requires a header inspection prior to
any exterior or interior wall covering is installed
4. FINAL INSPECTION-
• Project completed, stocked & ready for occupancy
• Electrical and plumbing final stickers on site.
• Final sticker from Fire Marshal on site (if needed)
• Final approval from Del Dot sent to Building Code (if needed)
• Stamped Energy Compliance Letter (when needed)
• Rough grade for proper drainage away from structure
• Gutters and downspouts installed
• Handicap parking space(s) and signage defined & in place
• 911 addresses must be posted
County approved plans must be kept on job site for inspectors’ review to receive an inspection.
Any changes or deviations from the approved set of plans must have written approval by the architect, the Building Code Office and the State Fire
All inspections can now be viewed on the County’s website using the “Self Service Portal.” To access this feature, please visit:
sussexcountyde.gov. Click on the “Building Code” link in the Business section under Building and Construction. Once you are in the
Building Code section, click on the “Inspections and Scheduling” tab on the left-hand side of the screen. Look for the “Self Service
Portal” link at the top center next to picture. You will need to enter your Parcel ID or Application reference number to view all
inspection results. Both numbers can be found on your building permit.
Before requesting any inspection, all “third party” reports such as engineered footing reports, piling blow counts, waterproofing
certificates, stamped truss repairs, and energy certificate reports must be emailed to our Inspection Office at
. Application number must be included.
Any requested inspection failing to provide any of the above-mentioned reports, will not be scheduled.
TO SCHEDULE INSPECTIONS:
PLEASE CALL 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE AT (302) 858-5500 BETWEEN 7:30 a.m. & 3:00 p.m.
MUST HAVE APPLICATION NUMBER TO SCHEDULE INSPECTIONS.
PRINT NAME PHONE #
click to sign
click to edit