GENERAL APPLICATION INFORMATION
1. This application should be used by any non-city organization or agency requesting funding from the
city’s General Fund budget. The purpose of this application is to assist the city in determining the
most effective use of city funds.
2. Applications are due in the Office of the City Manager, City Hall, 3
Floor, 409 South Main Street,
Harrisonburg, Virginia, 22801, by 5:00 P.M. Thursday, January 30, 2020. This is not a postmark
deadline. If sending application via U.S. Mail, please allow sufficient time for delivery to ensure
that applications are RECEIVED by the deadline.
3. Private individuals are not eligible to submit project applications. Projects must benefit a group
of people and be administered by an agency, organization, or business (i.e., a legal entity).
4. The application must stand alone and will serve as the primary vehicle for applicants to provide
information on their request. However, applicants may also be asked to submit additional
information. Note: An appropriation of funds in one fiscal year does imply a commitment by the
City to provide funds in subsequent years.
5. The application evaluation will also now include a review committee. The review committee will
advance to the City Manager recommendations on which requests should be incorporated into the
City Manager’s budget. The City Manager will review and determine which recommendations to
include in the budget as is feasible based on financial constraints.
6. Leveraging of funds is an important consideration to the city in reviewing funding requests. While
pleased to contribute toward meritorious activities, the city prefers to invest where other funding
entities also contribute substantially to the cost.
7. Funding disbursements will be made on a quarterly basis. The quarterly disbursements will be
disbursed after notification from the agency is received by e-mail, letter, or fax. The city reserves the
right to adjust the quarterly payments should state or local budgetary circumstances so require.
8. Submit one (1) original copy of the application. Note: All attachments to the application must be
included in the original and all copies. You may send your application electronically in pdf format to
email@example.com , regular mail, or hand delivery.
9. The application package must include the following:
i. IRS 501(C) Tax Exemption Determination Letter (if applicable)
ii. Current List of the Organization’s Board of Directors (if applicable) indicating their
addresses, telephone numbers, and terms of appointment
iii. Organization’s most recent audit
iv. Organization’s written financial statement showing the sources of revenue and actual
expenditures for its current fiscal year
v. Evidence of insurance (listing of policies by type and coverage amount, indicating policy
end dates, or copies of certificates of insurance)
vi. State Corporation Commission Certificate and Evidence of Current Renewal (if
1. IRS Form 990