C. Food Protection and Handling
1. All potentially hazardous foods shall be maintained at an internal temperature of
41 degrees or below or at an internal temperature of 135 degrees or above.
Equipment for cooling or heating foods, and holding cold or hot food shall be
adequate in number and capacity to provide proper food temperatures
Mechanical holding units are required to ensure that the proper temperature is
2. All condiments, including onions, relish, peppers, catsup, mustard, etc., for
customer self-service must be available in individual packets or from an
3. All food, food containers, utensils, napkins, straws and other single service
articles must be stored at least six inches off the floor and adequately protected
from splash, dust, insects, weather and other contamination.
4. All open foods must be protected from contamination.
5. When self-service ice dispensers are not used, ice scoops are required. Ice
used for human consumption may not be used to refrigerate other foods and
beverages. Ice storage units must be drained to a wastewater receptacle or a
sanitary sewer system to prevent submergence of beverage containers into
6. Only single service utensils (fork, knife, spoon, plates, and cups) shall be
provided to the customer.
7. A metal stemmed thermometer must be provided for checking food temperatures
during preparation and storage.
8. There must be an available person in charge who is designated to be responsible
for compliance with the food regulations.
1. Water from an approved source shall be made available in a temporary food
establishment for food preparation, handwashing, and for cleaning and sanitizing
utensils and equipment.
2. A convenient handwashing facility shall be available for all booths, which handle
open food. Handwash facilities shall include an insulated container with a spigot
that can be turned on to allow potable, clean, warm water to flow; a wastewater
container; soap; disposable towels; and a waste receptacle. Handwash facilities
are not required if the only food items are offered are commercially pre-packaged
foods that are dispensed in their original containers. At least a five-gallon
capacity should be available.