You are being assigned to Camp .
Your Probation Officer/Caseworker is . Your
Probation Officer works on
from to . You should expect to meet with your
Probation Officer on . At that time you
will be informed about your potential release date and have any
questions you might have answered. If you have any questions
or concerns before that date please ask to speak to the A.D.
Youare aluable
You have been ordered by a Juvenile Court Judge, as a condition of
probation, to participate in a Camp Community Placement program.
You are assigned to a camp that provides a program that best suits your
needs. At this camp you will be assigned to a new probation officer who
will work with you to develop positive changes in your life that will
reinforce and promote positive interactions with others. Your probation
officer/caseworker can recommend your going home early to the Judge
if you work hard and the Judge agrees. The Judge has the final say in
when you go home.
You might have heard a lot of things about camp. Camp is a place for
any young person who has had problems with him/herself, school,
family, and the law. Some important program focuses are learning new
skills, controlling anger and impulsive behavior and developing a
commitment to improving your life and the lives of those who live in your
The camp is…
Helping each other create and maintain a safe and caring community.
A structured lifestyle, where we gain positive attitudes, values and learn
to deal with stress.
A place where we focus on behavioral change and confront attitudes
that are negative and destructive.
An opportunity to change, to confront mistakes and to accept
responsibility for our lives.
A place to set goals and practice behaviors, which lead to successful
Camp will help you to develop impulse control and the patience to work for and
wait for things you want. You will be taught to follow rules, obtain permission
before you act, develop healthy habits, take pride in a day’s work well done, and
live with other people of different races and opinions. Setting goals for yourself
and taking control of your own camp program will help you become a good
citizen by learning responsible behavior, problem solving skills and how to use
good judgment. You will learn coping skills and how to resolve problems when
things are not going your way and when you are angry.
The staff in camp: Deputy Probation Officers, Supervisors, Managers, Mental
Health Counselors, Teachers and others have a responsibility to keep you safe
and support you as you work to make positive change your behavior. While you
are in camp efforts will be made to ensure your protection and the security of
others. The rules in this handbook will help keep you and others safe and
healthy. You must know and follow these rules. If you do not understand a rule,
tell your probation officer or any staff on duty. They will help you. This
handbook will also let you know how to request medical, dental, and mental
health services while you are in camp and how to file a Grievance. While you
are here, y er w nd a final
report will r you
our probation offic ill tell your Judge about how you act a
ecommend when are ready go home on probation.
Each request for release is based on your progress in the program,
accomplishment of individual program goals and participation in services. The
judge makes the final decision about your release date.
Your length of stay in camp may be extended based on your need to spend
more time working on individual goals and participating in services. If you
choose not to take advantage of the services being provided to you in camp,
your probation officer may send a violation report to the Judge, asking for a
change of plan or an extension of camp time.
Whenever decisions are going to be made about changes in your program, a
Case Review takes place. This means that your caseworker, a Supervisor
and others (mental health staff, teachers, etc.) will meet to determine what the
best services are to work with you and help you make the behavior changes
that will help you be successful when you leave camp.
All the services in camp are part of the Behavior Management Program.
These services can include Aggression Replacement Training, Girls Moving
On, SPARCS, LEAPS and other small groups, along with individual and group
counseling with a mental health therapist and educational services. These
services all have one goal: to help you make the positive changes that you
need to make and to learn and practice new skills to help you be successful
when you leave camp. One part of the Behavior Management Program is the
daily and weekly merit ladder. This is a point system that will help you
measure your success at following the rules and learning new skills.
Staff and teachers give you points when you follow the rules and improve your
behavior. Staff will add up your points at the end of each day. Your name will
go on a Merit Ladder which is put up in the dorm daily and at the end of each
week. Your points can earn you special rewards, activities and treats from the
Saturday Behavior Store.
Daily Points: 0 to 2 points are entered on the work sheet for each activity
graded by staff. You can also earn extra points for having a camp job. The
maximum number of points that can be earned each weekday is 18;
weekends is 12; maximum weekly points = 114.
The activities that you will be graded on are:
School Performance
Group participation and motivation
Meal time behavior
Overall behavioral performance for the day
9 2
Follow the rules established by your camp for getting your meals. You shall
have no less than 20 minutes to eat. Do not share food with others. Do not
take food from others. You may talk quietly during meals, unless told
otherwise. Treat others with dignity and respect. Listen to staff instructions.
SPECIAL DIETS-tell staff if you have any special diet needs which have
been approved by the nurse. Let staff know about food allergies or religious
needs right away.
You are allowed to use the restroom and wash your hands after using the
restroom or at any other time needed. You will be allowed to shower
everyday and will be provided with a clean shirt, underwear, and socks.
Pants will be exchanged once per week or as needed. You will be allowed
to wash your face and brush your teeth every morning and before bed.
Upon request you will be allowed to shave and get a haircut.
In order to keep you safe, routine searches will be conducted. The dorm,
including your bed and locker, will be subject to search at any time. You will
be subject to a pat down and may be subject to a strip search during your
stay at camp.
The request for services form is a Green form that can be filled out to
request services; these forms are available to you in every camp. You can
confidentially request services such as: seeing the nurse, doctor, dentist,
and/or a mental health counselor; request drug treatment; and request
religious services. You can also request other services with this form. Once
you fill out this form you can turn it in to staff or put it in the Grievance
lockbox. If you feel you have a medical or mental health emergency tell staff
If you feel sick you may request to see the nurse. You do not have to tell
staff why you want to see the nurse. Just follow the procedure on the wall in
the dorm. The nurse will see you that same day. If you are really sick or in
pain the staff will get you to the nurse right away.
If you have a toothache, ask staff to put your name on the “Nurse’s List.”
The nurse will set up a time for you to see the dentist. If you are in pain the
staff will take you to see the nurse right away.
If you are feeling nervous, sad or angry, ask to talk to someone who can
help you. If you are thinking of hurting yourself or others, ask to talk to
someone right away.
8 3
In camp you can expect staff to do their job the right way. This means you
have a right to be treated fairly. You have rights including:
1. You have the right to be treated with dignity and respect.
2. You have the right to be safe as staff maintain order and control.
3. You have the right not to hear staff use profanity, make threats or
subject you to verbal abuse.
4. You have the right to be treated with courtesy and consideration.
5. You have the right to not have people make fun of you.
6. You have the right to be protected from physical and verbal abuse.
7. You have the right to be listened to and to have all of your complaints
and concerns answered in a timely and appropriate manner.
8. You have the right to have your food, clothing, medical, counseling,
and religious needs met.
9. You have the right to be in a classroom that meets your needs or to
have school work given to you if you are in SHU.
10. You have the right to a phone call to your parents or guardians at
least once per week.
11. You have the right to send and receive mail (you may have 5 letters
and 5 personal photos in your possession—no gang photos will be
12. You have the right to receive weekly visits by your parents or
guardians (see page 4).
13. You have the right to be treated fairly.
14. You have the right to file a complaint or “grievance” (see page 6).
15. You have the right to call the Ombudsman.
You have the right to be safe and to be treated fairly, regardless of your race,
religion, national origin (what country your family came from), disability, sex
(male, female, transgender) or sexual orientation (straight, gay, lesbian, or
The “Ombudsman” is a person who helps solve problems. If you are not
treated fairly, you may call the Ombudsman. The Ombudsman will look into
your problem and get back to you. The Ombudsman’s toll free phone
number is 1-877-822-3222.
Tell staff if you need to talk to your lawyer privately. Staff will help you get in
contact with him/her.
If you are deaf or hearing impaired (hard of hearing) the Probation Department
will provide you with a sign language interpreter (if you can read sign
language), telecommunication devices (TDD) and closed caption televisions.
If you need these services, please let staff know.
If you do any damage (including graffiti) to the camp and its surroundings, you will
be required to clean or repair what you damaged, or to do community service to
pay for the damage. Your parents can also be charged, your Judge notified and
you may get a new charge against you.
Fighting is a crime. This includes striking, hitting, kicking, or spitting on anyone. If
someone is hurt, you may get new charges in court. You may get more time in
camp, or a commitment to the State Division of Juvenile Justice if you are in camp
for a serious or violent offense (WIC 707b).
Fighting, gang activity, and engaging in racial disrespect/disturbances are wrong.
There are other non-violent methods that can be used to resolve conflict. If you
become involved in any Youth on Youth Violence (fights), gang activity, or racial
disrespect/disturbance, your Judge may be told and you will be given a Youth on
Youth Violence Avoidance Contract where you must identify one thing that you
agree to do to resolve conflict in the future and to show your commitment to
avoiding violence.
Any behavior considered to present a danger to you, other minors, staff or
property may result in the use of that force necessary to bring the situation under
control. This may require physical, chemical (O.C.), or mechanical (Handcuffs)
restraint. Use of physical force by staff as punishment or discipline is prohibited.
Physical restraint and the use of O.C. should be the last alternative in controlling
behavior and should only be employed to protect you, staff and other youth.
Some camps have pepper spray. When you hear “O.C. Spray”, you must follow
all orders/instructions given by staff.
Probation Officers and Group Supervisor Night staff who work in camp are Peace
Officers. It is important to remember this because an assault or battery on a
Peace Officer (trying to kick or hit) can be treated more severely than an assault
or battery upon a non-Peace Officer. Assault or battery on a Peace Officer can
result in 12-months of confinement instead of 6-months for the same act towards
a non-Peace Officer. Also, if the Peace Officer is injured, the offender can be
confined for up to 3 years.
It is against the law for anyone to send or bring drugs or alcohol to the camp.
They can be arrested.
It is against the law for anyone to send or bring weapons (something that can be
used to hurt someone) into camp. They can be arrested.
Only your parents or guardians can visit while you are here unless you have
special permission from your probation officer. Visiting is on Sundays, from
1pm to 4pm.
Special visits will be arranged through your probation officer and/or the Acting
Director (AD). These visits are for brothers, sisters, your children or other
family. A special visit is intended to support your family ties and should be
used as a casework tool.
Parents and guardians are invited to the camp for family engagement day.
Family engagement day is an opportunity for families to meet with probation,
mental health and school staff to engage in discussion about your camp
program and services that are available to you and your family.
1. It is important to keep in contact with your family while you are in camp
and the telephone is considered an important tool to that end. You are
entitled to one call a week to your family.
2. Phone calls may be made after school hours with staff permission.
3. You may not call another probation facility, victim, or a witness.
4. Your probation officer shall note any phone calls that you make.
5. The staff may listen to your phone calls, except those made to your
6. If you need to speak with your lawyer ask your probation officer or the AD
to let you use the county phone to call him/her.
There are many restroom breaks. Ask staff if you need to use the restroom
at any other time. If you need a restroom break at night, follow procedure
and wait for the night staff to call you up from your bed.
There are many opportunities to get a drink from a water fountain. Water
fountains are available during recreation and in the dorm. You may not be
allowed to get a drink during structured group activity (movements, group
structuring, etc.). The security needs of the group may outweigh your
individual need for a drink at those times. Be patient and an opportunity for a
drink will follow a structured activity.
“Special Needs” are problems that make it hard for you to see, hear, walk, talk,
think, or learn. If you have a special need, tell the staff so they can help you.
The law says you cannot be punished or left out of things just because you have
special needs.
Your special needs will not be told to other minors.
If you break the rules you will not earn points during that activity period. If your
behavior is disruptive to the camp and you are out of control, you many be
transferred to the Special Handling Unit (SHU). Breaking rules is a violation of
your Juvenile Court Order and may be reported to your Judge. If you continue to
violate your court order, your probation officer may make a recommendation for a
change of plan in a report to your judge. It is your probation officer’s job to let
your parents and the Judge know about your behavior.
If a staff writes an SIR about something you did, it means you have broken
important rules and this behavior must be documented. An SIR might contain
recommendations for special services to correct your behavior. This could
include a report to your Judge, contact with your parents, and/or removal from
the dorm. See below for the Appeal and Hearing process.
Staff will write a PIR anytime physical or chemical intervention is used on you in
order to manage a crisis situation. A PIR might contain recommendations for
special services to correct your behavior. This could include a report to your
Judge, contact with your parents, and/or removal from the dorm. See below for
the Appeal and Hearing process.
You have the right to appeal any penalty given to you as a result of the SIR/PIR.
The DPO II or AD shall hear your appeal and make a final decision. You may
appeal the DPO II’s or AD’s decision with the Camp Director. The Camp Director
shall make the final decision in writing and provide it to you. If you still think that
the decision is unfair, you may contact the Ombudsman. If you do not know what
to do at the hearing, your probation officer or another advocate will help you. All
decisions made as a result of an SIR/PIR shall be reviewed by the Director to
ensure fairness.
You may be sent/transferred to the SHU if you break the rules or if it is necessary
for safety reasons. You will be kept in SHU until you are ready to return to the
dorm (or your camp if the SHU is at another location). If your behavior does not
improve, you may stay at the SHU longer. Your probation officer or the AD shall
review your case at least every 24-hours to see if you can return.
Catholic and Protestant services are held every weekend. Tell staff if you are of
a different faith and they will contact the chaplain to get someone from your faith
to see you. Ask staff if you want to talk to the chaplain about a problem.
If you have a complaint/grievance about anything while you are in camp, this is
how you can get help:
1. Talk to the staff or the on-duty AD (Supervisor) if you feel comfortable doing
2. Fill out a “Grievance” (complaint) form. These forms are found in the dorm,
dining hall and school. If you need help filling out the form, ask staff for
3. Place the “Grievance” form in the “Grievance” box in the dorm. You may
also give the “Grievance” form to any staff, social worker, advocate,
Chaplain, nurse, mental health therapist, teacher, your lawyer, a volunteer,
or your Judge. Someone will talk to you about it, usually within 24 hours.
4. Your complaint/grievance will be answered on the same form. If no one
can answer it, it will go to the Director.
5. If the AD says “no” to your complaint, you may appeal it to the Director. The
Director will have a hearing about your complaint/grievance. If the Director
needs to know more about your complaint/grievance, it may take more
You are expected to go to school five (5) days a week (Monday – Friday). You
can transfer grades and credits to your home school or the new school you may
go to after you are released from camp. If you earn enough credits you may get
your High School Diploma. You may also take the Graduate Equivalency
Diploma (G.E.D.) exam to earn your G.E.D. Tell your teachers if you have
trouble speaking, reading, or writing English. Let someone know if you were in
a Special Ed. Class at your previous school. If you have any other questions
ask your teachers, they will help you.
In the event of an emergency, which may include, but not be limited to:
earthquake, fire, flood, power outage, disturbance, fight, O.C warning, medical
incident, etc., staff, which includes probation staff, teachers, mental health staff,
health services, or other staff will instruct you on what to do. The staff’s
instructions in an emergency may include, but is are not limited to: remain on
your bed, take cover (under your bed, desk, table, doorway, etc.), exit the
building, move to a designated area of the camp (such as the field, blacktop,
gym, special housing unit, dining hall, office, etc.). It is very important that you
listen to all staff instructions and that you follow staff instructions during an
emergency and after the emergency. During the emergency and when out of
harm’s way, continue to remain calm and follow the additional instructions given
by staff. When it is appropriate, state any issues or concerns to staff which you
may have in such a way that does not hinder the response to an emergency.