Building over a
Public Sewer
Version 3 - March 2018
United Utilities Build over a Public Sewer Guidance 1
Why do I need permission to build over
or near to a public sewer? 3
What else should I consider if I want to
build over or near to a public sewer? 3
Who is responsible for the sewers that
cross my land? 4 - 5
Working with Building Control Bodies
through our ‘Building Over Protocol’ 6 - 7
What is our Protocol?
Am I in a ‘protocol’ area?
Is my development covered by the
My building is exempt from building
regulations, what should I do?
Declaration of works 8
Enquiring to build over or near to a
public sewer 8 - 10
Piling over public sewers
Build Over Submission Check List
FAQ’s 11 - 13
Glossary of Terms 14
Welcome to our building
over a public sewer
guide. Here you will nd
information on what you
should do to request
permission for building
over or near to a public
sewer, along with helpful
scenarios and frequently
asked questions.
This guide only focusses on building over
public sewers or drains. We do not allow
building over water mains.
If you are planning a new development
or extending an existing property and
believe you may be in close proximity to
or building over a public sewer then our
Wastewater Developer Services team
are here to help!
There may be situations where building
over a sewer is not possible however this
guide aims to give you all the relevant
facts and information you need before
enquiring about building over.
Don’t worry, everything you need is in
this guide!
2 United Utilities Build over a Public Sewer Guidance
Why do I need
permission to build
over or near to a public
If your development is subject to national building
standards (outlined in H4 Building Regulations)
you will need our permission to build over or
within 3 metres of the centreline of a public
If this is the case your appointed building control
body (either an independent Approved Inspector
or an inspector from Local Authority Building
Control department) will contact us. This is
usually quite late on in the development process
(after planning permission has been granted) and
therefore we would encourage you to speak to
us early so that there are no hold ups when you
apply for your building regulations approval.
There are a few dierent options to help you
gain our permission depending on what you are
building and how big or deep the sewers close to
your building are.
This guide will explain the dierent approaches
available to you and help you follow the correct
United Utilities have a protocol agreement with
a number of Building Control Bodies across the
region which allows them to act on our behalf
for sign-o on some projects. Most residential
extensions will be covered by this protocol. We
are also signed up to a national approach (with
other sewer companies) for smaller/shallower
sewers that may allow an automatic approval to
your proposals if they meet certain criteria, we
refer to this as the declaration of works process.
Finally we have our enquiry process for the
larger deeper sewers. This guide will explain the
dierent approaches available to you and help
you follow the correct process.
Were responsible for public sewers in our area
and many of these cross private land. We need
to be sure that your proposals will not aect or
our ability to operate and maintain the sewer and
there will be no impact to the customers who are
served by it.
What else should I
consider if I want to build
over or near to a public
Protective strip
A protective strip is the area 3 metres either
side of the centreline of a sewer pipe as detailed
in Building Regulations. The size and depth of
the pipe and the size of your development will
determine if you need our permission to build in
this area.
In all cases, consideration should be given to
avoid building in the protective strip.
Some pipes are protected by legal ‘easements’.
If an easement exists on a pipe that crosses your
land this should be included in your property
deeds and you should have been made aware of
this when you purchased your property.
Easements exist to make sure we can eectively
operate and maintain our pipes. The terms of
the agreement will usually detail any conditions
associated with building within the easement
area. It is United Utilities policy to honour the
terms of such agreements.
Diverting a public sewer is usually more desirable
than having a building constructed over it. This
means that the sewer can always be accessed for
maintenance and repair should a defect occur and
also reduce the impact on your building.
A land owner has the right to request that a
sewer is diverted from their land to facilitate their
development however they would be responsible
for all costs associated with the diversion.
For further information on sewer diversions
then please visit:
United Utilities Build over a Public Sewer Guidance 3
Build over agreements
If we agree to you building over or within 3
metres (of the centreline) of a public sewer, then
the permission will be subject to certain checks,
conditions and possibly a legal ‘Building Over
Agreement’ between the land owner and United
A Building Over Agreement is a legal document
which is usually put in place to protect our larger
or deeper sewers. This is not a legal requirement
but is a condition of our permission when the
development might have a more signicant
impact on our pipes and therefore makes sure
that we can access the pipe if something goes
wrong. A build over agreement will place onerous
conditions on the land owner and independent
legal advice should be sought before entering into
such agreements.
There are legal and administration fees associated
with entering into a “Building Over Agreement”.
Details of these charges can be found on our
charges page.
Who is responsible for
the sewers that cross
my land?
From 1 October 2011, changes to the law
meant that United Utilities, along with all
other water and sewerage companies across
England and Wales, took on responsibility
for the majority of private sewers and lateral
drains (drains located outside the boundary
of your property) laid and being used before
July 2011. Previously, these pipes were the
responsibility of the owners of the property to
which the pipes were connected to.
The aim of the transfer was to remove the
burden of costly maintenance and confusing
responsibilities from our customers whose
homes are served by these sewers and drains.
If you think there might be a pipe crossing
your land we recommend you contact our
Property Searches team on 0370 751 0101
to understand what it is. Please be aware
that due to the private sewer transfer, not all
sewers will be displayed on the maps.
The diagram on page 5 should help to explain
who is responsible for the sewer pipes.
Alternatively you can review our sewer
records at your Local Authority oces, or you
can book an appointment to view our sewer
and water records at our oces at Lingley
Mere Business Park, Lingley Green Avenue,
Warrington WA5 3LP.
4 United Utilities Build over a Public Sewer Guidance
What am I responsible for?
You are responsible for the pipes, gutters and
drains in and around your home, including the
drains from your property up to your boundary. If
you have a problem with these, you’ll need to call
a plumber (its worth checking your insurance rst
as you may be covered for the cost of repair).
If your property was built after June 2011, it’s likely
that United Utilities will only be responsible for the
red sewers shown on the map below.
Typical sewer pipe responsibilty
Private drain (responsibility of home owner)
What is United Utilities responsible for?
If your property was built and occupied before
July 2011 then the pipes that are highlighted
in light blue on the diagram below will be the
responsibility of United Utilities. These pipes
usually drain more than one property and
connect the private sewers and drains to the
public sewer network.
What is your local authority responsible for?
Local Authorities are responsible for road
gullies; small grate-covered openings at the
edge of roads, used to drain surface water from
the highway.
Flats/apartments DetachedTerrace
Public Highway
Property boundary
Shared sewer pipe/pipe beyond the property boundary (responsibility of United Utilities if the
property was constructed and connected to the public sewer prior to 1st July 2011)
Public sewer (responsibility of United Utilities)
You can nd more information on sewers
and drains at our website unitedutilities.
United Utilities Build over a Public Sewer Guidance 5
Working with Building
Control Bodies through
our ‘Building Over
What is our Protocol?
We are dedicated to delivering exceptional
customer service and following the private sewer
transfer in 2011, we teamed up with the majority of
local councils (see map opposite for information)
and Approved Inspectors to create our Protocol to
oer customers a a faster, more ecient service
when they come to build.
Our Protocol gives building control bodies the
authority to approve potential build overs on our
behalf; within specic criteria (see gure 1). We
are currently the only water company in the UK
that oers this service.
During and after construction a building control
body is required to conrm that the work complies
with national building standards (outlined in H4
Building Regulations). The customer can choose
whether to use a Local Authority Building Control
(LABC) department or an independent Approved
Inspector to make this assessment.
Am I in a ‘protocol’ area?
If your council is listed opposite, they are not
in our Protocol but you may be able to use our
Declaration of Works process (see page 8 for more
Not all local councils are in the protocol with
United Utilities, but most are. You can check the
map opposite to see if your local council is or, if
you have chosen to use an independent approved
inspector then they will be able to tell you if they
are in the protocol or not.
If the council or approved inspector is not in the
protocol then they will just have to consult with
us with your plans of how you intend to protect
the public sewer and your building from the sewer
(should it ever collapse).
Council areas that are not in the Protocol
Ellesmere Port
& Neston
South Ribble
Ribble Valley
Crewe &
South Lakeland
St Helens
Vale Royal
High Peak
North Shropshire
West Lancashire
Figure 1
South Lakeland
High Peak
Staordshire Moorlands
6 United Utilities Build over a Public Sewer Guidance
Is my development covered by the
Your development will be covered by the Protocol
agreement if you can answer ‘yes’ to all of the
questions below.
Figure 2
Pipe size Is the pipe less than 300mm in
diameter Yes No
Pipe depth Is your pipe no deeper than 3m
Yes No
Size of Development Is the length of your
new building (over the sewer) smaller than 12m
Yes No
If you have answered ‘no’ to any of the above
questions you will need to submit an enquiry to us
(see page 8 for guidance). Your build will not be
covered under the Protocol.
If you can answer ‘yes’ to all of these questions
all you need to do is simply apply for your
building regulations with your LABC department
or Approved Inspector. Information regarding
building control bodies can be found either in the
Yellow Pages or via an internet search.
When you work with building control; if they are
satised with your proposals and it ts our criteria,
they will approve this on United Utilities’ behalf
and you will not have to contact us for further
Due to the transfer of private sewers not all sewers
are mapped on the public records. The protocol
allows the building inspectors to deal with most
of the types of pipes that you would expect to
nd around your house however, you or your
builder may come across a larger or deeper pipe
that is outside of the criteria (see gure 2). If this
is the case they will notify United Utilities who
will attend your site within 48 hours to discuss
the proposals with you and the next steps. It is
likely that further investigation and design work
will be required (at your expense) to determine its
exact location condition and to ensure that your
proposals will not aect it.
My building is exempt from
building regulations, what should
I do?
Some structures are exempt from building
regulations however we recommend you still talk
to us about your plans. We will oer advice and
ask that where possible your structure complies
with the Building Regulations as we see this
as good practice which should help you avoid
damaging a sewer.
Your development may fall under our Declaration
of Works criteria please see page 8 for details.
If a pipe is not protected properly, even from a
small conservatory or garage then any damage
to it could cause your new structure to move
or subside. Furthermore, you may be liable for
the damage to the sewer if your new structure
is deemed to have caused it. If we ever need to
repair a defective sewer, this could even mean
removing the structure or gaining access (digging)
through it.
For more information on which
buildings are exempt, please visit the
Government Planning Portal by going
United Utilities Build over a Public Sewer Guidance 7
Declaration of works
Most residential extensions will be covered
by our Protocol agreement with local councils
and Approved Building Control Inspectors.
However if you are not in a protocol area, not
using an approved inspector that is signed up
to the protocol or are building something that
is not subject to the Building Regulations (some
conservatories etc.) then you may be able to utilise
our declaration of works procedure.
This process can be followed in some very specic
circumstances to allow you to gain consent from
You will need to complete a checklist and
declaration about your development including
your foundation plans, the type, size, location,
access and condition of the sewers. You may need
the support of a competent architect, engineer,
builder or surveyor to answer some of these
questions correctly.
The full criteria is explained clearly within our
declaration of Works Pack which is available on
our website at
Once you have completed the declaration and
submitted it to us, we will respond within 14 days
detailing the next steps you need to take.
The Health and Safety of workers on the Public Sewer
Network is our number one priority. All work on public
sewerage apparatus must be agreed in writing by
United Utilities. Your contractor should contact our
call centre on 0345 672 3723 to request an Access
Certicate from the Network Engineer for your council
area. As a minimum requirement, workers carrying
out sewer construction on the public sewer must hold
a current City and Guilds or SQA standard or CABWI
Level 2 Award Certicate for Working in Medium or
High Risk Conned Spaces in the Water Industry. In
addition, those carrying out the work must be suitably
Only Intrinsically Safe CCTV equipment
can be used in public sewers
Enquiring to build over or
near to a public sewer
If your building isn’t covered by the Protocol or the
declaration of works procedure (see page 6) you
will need to apply directly to us.
Your enquiry might not be covered under the
protocol if the pipe is too big, too deep or a
signicant amount of the pipe will be covered. It
might also be as simple as your chosen Building
Control Body (Local Authority or Approved
Inspector) has not signed up to our Protocol.
If you need to contact us directly for us to assess
your enquiry, you should complete the following
STEP 1: Fill in building over enquiry form
(see page 15)
Please answer all questions on the enquiry form
STEP 2: Locate the exact position of the sewer
You may need the services of a specialist drainage
contractor who will be able to locate and trace the
line of the sewer for you. This information can then
be passed to your Architect or Engineer to rene
your design proposals and make sure that they
comply with Building Regulations.
It is the applicants responsibility to demonstrate
the exact relationship between any United Utilities
assets and the proposed development.
Example of a a drainage survey
Pipe in good
condition no
defects or cracks,
water owing
Pipe in poor
condition, cracks,
collapsing change
in shape. This
cannot be built
over or near to
Please note, United Utilities do not currently provide
a sewer location or sewer CCTV service.
8 United Utilities Build over a Public Sewer Guidance
· . .i.'
..... ..
A number of providers oer a paid for mapping
service including United Utilities. To nd out
how to purchase a sewer and water plan from
United Utilities, please visit the Property Searches
You can also view the plans for free. To make
an appointment to view our sewer records at
your local authority please contact them direct,
alternatively if you wish to view the water and the
sewer records at our Lingley Mere oces based in
Warrington please ring 0370 751 0101 to book an
Due to the public sewer transfer in 2011, not all
sewers are currently shown on the statutory sewer
records and we do not always show private pipes
on our plans.
Please be aware that these records will only give
you an indication of the presence of a sewer, as
you are considering building over or near to a
sewer you will need to determine its exact position
(depth and proximity to your proposed building).
You cannot produce a full design or plan until you
know the exact location of the sewer.
You cannot build over a sewer that is in poor
condition. Therefore you must provide a CCTV
survey and copy of the report provided by the
surveyors when you submit your enquiry to build
over or close to a public sewer.
It is likely the same specialist drainage contractor
who locates and trace the line of the sewer will
also provide this service for you.
Existing House
Sewer Pipe
Lintels over Sewer
Plan showing proposed building work
Please note, United Utilities do not currently oer any
design services.
STEP 3: Produce location and foundation plans
You may need the help of an architect or a
consulting structural or civil engineer so that
we can clearly see on a plan what protection
measures you have considered for the sewer and
your building. This will help you make sure that
your proposals meet the requirements of the
Building Regulations which include guidance on
how to protect the sewer (Part H4) and how to
protect your building from the sewer, should it
ever fail (Parts A2 & A3). They should be familiar
with the regulations and be able to help you make
a compliant submission.
The plan must be drawn to scale, showing the
building outline and the exact position of the
public sewer(s) in relation to it.
The plans must comply with the guidance that
supports the relevant Building Regulations,
specically the foundation details and how the
sewer and building are protected from each other.
A cross section of the sewer and buildings also
needs to be provided see gures 3 & 4.
Location Plan (not to scale)
Photo of Lintel
over sewer pipe
Cross section
on Lintel
Lintel over Sewer
pipe bed and
min 50mm
Public Sewer
around pipe
Cross section through foundations and
sewer showing protective measures
United Utilities Build over a Public Sewer Guidance 9
....................................... e ......... .
Et ...... .
Note - pile should be as far
away from sewer as possible.
Piling near sewers
For some deeper sewers pile foundations can be
more cost eective (compared to trench ll or
strip) to ensure that the load from the building is
taken below the pipe.
There are some very important things to consider
though when piling near sewers, such as;
1. Knowing exactly where the pipe is. Even with
the sonar equipment companies use to locate
pipe this might not provide pin-point accuracy
of the line of a sewer. Also for sewers, the
‘sond’ that is put into the pipe might not be
central therefore the reading at ground level
might not be the center of the pipe. You should
discuss this with your drainage contractor as
damaging deep sewers can be very expensive
and sometimes impossible to repair. The only
way to establish the true line of the sewer
would be by digging to expose the crown of the
pipe. Digging near to utilities can be dangerous
and should only be carried out by competent
2. What ‘type’ of pile to use. There are many
dierent types of pile available and your
engineer or piling contractor will advise you
on the right choice for your design but you
must consider the potential impacts of it on the
sewer. For example ‘driven’ piles can cause a lot
of vibration in the ground and possibly damage
the sewer (and other buildings). Driven piles can
also cause displacement of the soil around as
well as adding horizontal pressure on the pipe.
Augured piles are usually preferable as this
involves drilling out the ground and replacing
it with a concrete pile. Sometimes the pile can
be augured until past the sewer and then driven
in but again your engineer or piling contractor
should advise you on the best approach.
3. Your responsibility. You should ensure that
you make your engineer and piling contractor
aware of any sewers and other utilities (water
and gas pipes). You should also be aware of
who is taking responsibility for the work near to
the public sewer. For example, when you sign
for an order for a piling contractor, the small
print may say that you are responsible for all the
utilities on the site. Discuss this with contractor,
sometimes they will oer to survey the sewer
before and afterwards to check its condition.
Build Over Submission Check List
Enquiry Form CCTV survey
Site location and foundation plan
(a further survey will be required after
construction if permission is given)
An administration fee of £172.00 will be payable
if permission is granted by us and a build over
agreement is required. There will also be legal
fees payable associated with arranging the legal
agreement which are £369 for household premises
and £522 for non-household premises. The legal
fees will be requested by our legal department
when the draft agreements are issued to your legal
Fees will not be payable if we object to your
Larger and/or deeper sewers may require more
information to support your foundation design,
which we will request from you following your
initial enquiry. This information may need to be
sent to our Civil/Geo-technical Engineers and any
fees associated with checking this information
will be charged ‘at cost’. Information on all of our
charges can be found at
Please submit all the above information with your
build over enquiry form either by email;
Or by post to; Developer Services,
Windermere House, Lingley Green Avenue,
Great Sankey, Warrington WA5 3LP.
10 United Utilities Build over a Public Sewer Guidance
Why do I need an agreement
with United Utilities?
United Utilities own all public sewers in our region.
As we are responsible for maintaining our sewer
network we need to make sure that building work
does not restrict our ability to do this or cause
damage to our sewers.
The extra weight of a new building near to a
sewer can cause the sewer to collapse resulting
in damage to the building and interrupting
drainage to existing properties. This can cause
sewer ooding both internally and externally to
customers properties. In these circumstances
we would need access to our sewer in order to
repair it which could result in the building being
The consultation of the sewerage company is
in Building Regulations 2010 Part H4. Building
Inspectors may ask to see a copy of your
agreements before they will sign o your
completion certicate.
Copies of this document can be viewed at:
What is a public sewer?
A sewer is a pipe that carries wastewater from
more than one property. They can be on private
or public land however they’re mostly in the
ownership of the local Water and Sewerage
What is a lateral drain?
A drain is a pipe that carries wastewater away
from one property. Drains belong to the owner of
the property they are connected to.
A drain is the property owner’s responsibility until
it connects to either someone elses drain or a
sewer, or if it passes into somebody elses land.
Please see page 5 of this document for examples.
You must ensure that your proposals do not
fully cover over a lateral drain that serves other
properties. Building over it will remove our ability
to access and maintain that drain in the future.
Nearly every property is connected to its
own private drains, and the property owner is
responsible for maintaining and repairing them.
Some properties have shared drains, such as a
block of ats. Owners of these properties are
jointly responsible for their drains.
A lateral drain is the part of a drain which lies
outside the property boundary, and in some cases,
can be located under someone elses land or a
road. Before 1 October 2011, lateral drains were the
responsibility of the individual property owner.
What is a Build Over
There are some circumstances when we will need
to arrange a formal ‘Building Over Agreement’.
This is a legal document which is put in place to
protect the sewer/drain and makes sure that we
can access the pipe if something ever goes wrong.
In some circumstances we may issue a
retrospective Building Over Agreement if work has
already been carried out over or close to a public
sewer. This is by exception only and where all our
criteria has been met.
What happens if I do not
The absence of a Completion Certicate which is
issued by your building control body at the end of
your build, can cause some problems when trying
to sell your property. If you have not sought the
proper permission from United Utilities then the
building control body will not be able to issue this
United Utilities Build over a Public Sewer Guidance 11
I am not sure if I am building
within three metres of a public
sewer what do I need to do?
You may need the services of a specialist drainage
contractor to determine if your build falls within 3
metres of a sewer.
They will usually undertake a ‘probe and mark’
with a sonar device to plot the line of the sewer at
ground level and establish its depth.
United Utilities doesn’t currently oer this service
however private contractors can be found using an
internet search.
When will building over or
close to a United Utilities asset
not be allowed?
We will not agree to the following being built over:
Pumping/Rising mains
Most brick, masonry or pitch bre sewers
Strategic Sewers (usually large diameter,
deep sewers)
Water Mains
When would your enquiry be
The Build Over enquiry form is either
incomplete or information is not clear.
No location plans have been submitted with the
enquiry form.
Plans do not show the exact location of the
sewer (we need to see the position of the sewer
and the ow direction in relation to the existing
building and the proposed building work before
any assessment can be made).
Plans show that you wish to build over a
manhole or inspection chamber.
The enquiry is for a new dwelling built over a
sewer. We would expect existing sewers to be
diverted around new buildings.
No cross section drawings have been
submitted. We require this drawing if the
building is over or within 3m of the sewer as
we need to see how the foundations will be
constructed. Cross section drawings must
show the foundation in relation to the sewer,
with clearance marked and any bridging detail
Minimum clearance has not been achieved
between the foundations and the pipe.
Foundations have not been taken below the
invert level of the sewer.
Plans show that the sewer is surrounded in
concrete. Pipes must be surrounded in pea
gravel unless agreed otherwise.
The proposal includes a plan to remove a
critical access point or change of direction
Can I build over a manhole?
We will not grant permission for new buildings (or
extensions to buildings) to be built over existing
access to public sewers.
Can I start work before
permission is received?
Building work shouldn’t start until approval has
been granted. If following our assessment (or
after assessment by an Inspector) your design
plans need to be amended, it is more dicult to
do if building work has begun. This is also likely to
mean that you could incur more cost that could be
Often a pre-construction CCTV survey will need
to be completed to check the condition of the
What happens if the sewer is in
poor condition?
We will not agree to building over or near to any
sewer that is in poor condition and reserve the
right to withhold permission to build over until all
defects are rectied.
We have a responsibility to carry out repairs to
defective sewers, however this work would be
prioritised according to customer impact, risk and
business needs. Therefore the time scales involved
in arranging any works may not be conducive to
your building works.
12 United Utilities Build over a Public Sewer Guidance
In certain circumstances, to facilitate the building
works and only where we classify the defects
as no immediate risk to customers, we may
grant permission for you to appoint a competent
contractor to carry out a repair. This will be at
your own expense and any permission to carry out
works would be assessed on a site by site basis.
Can I divert the sewer?
We would prefer a sewer to be diverted rather
than built over (if this is feasible) so that we
can easily access the sewer if ever needed for
maintenance and repair. You need permission
to divert a public sewer and more information,
including an enquiry form can be found on our
The sewer from my property
drains from my property only.
Do I need permission from
United Utilities?
See page 5 for information on sewer responsibility.
What does the Building
Regulations have to do with a
The building regulations is the legislation which
states that you need the permission of the sewer
owner (in this case United Utilities) to build over or
within 3 metres of it.
Your building will have to meet these regulations
in order for your appointed building control
body to issue with your ‘completion certicate
when you nish your works. Upon receipt of your
enquiry, you should keep a copy of this response
to your appointed building control inspector or the
Local Authority.
We ask that your submission complies with the
building regulations guidance as it oers good
advice around protecting drains and sewers from
buildings and also protecting buildings from drains
and sewers should they ever fail.
It is essential that we see that you have fully
considered the sewer and how to protect it from
your building in line with these regulations this
helps us make the right decision whether we can
grant permission or not for your development to
be built.
Working on or entering the
public sewer (including CCTV
survey work, altering the
public sewer or public sewer
Prior to any of the above works taking place -
your appointed contractor will need to obtain an
Access Certicate from United Utilities. They will
need to submit their Risk Assessments, Method
Statements and City & Guilds Conned Space
Certicates to the Network Engineer in order to
obtain this permission. They will need to call our
call centre and ask for the Network Engineer for
your Local Authority area in order to gain work
authorisation, the number to call is 0345 672 3723.
All of United Utilities wastewater assets fall
under the ‘Dangerous Substances and Explosive
Atmospheres Regulations’ (DSEAR) and as such all
sewers are classed as ‘zone 2’. This means that any
CCTV survey equipment used within the sewers
needs to be intrinsically safe (Ex rated) as to not
cause ignition or spark in a potentially explosive
United Utilities Build over a Public Sewer Guidance 13
Glossary of Terms
Foul Water Drain/Sewer A pipe that carries waste water from the property eg toilet,
bath, shower, dishwasher etc. Surface rain water should not be
discharged into a foul sewer
Combined Sewer A pipe that carries waste water and surface water away from
the property
Surface Water Sewer A pipe that carries away rainwater from the property. Foul
water should not be discharged into this pipe
Manhole A Large chamber allowing us physical access to our sewer
network. Only authorised personnel can have access
Inspection Chamber A small chamber which is used to rod and jet the sewer if there
are any blockages
Y Junction A Pre formed junction pipe used for new connections
Property Drain This is a private drain which will only serve the one property
Lateral Drain A pipe serving one property which is located on third party
land. This is owed and maintained by United Utilities
Rodding Eye A small entry into the sewer to allow access for rodding in case
of blockages
Invert Level The level of the sewer or drain which can be measured from
the inside of the bottom of the pipe
Sot Level The most highest point inside the pipe
Cover Level The measurement taken from the highest point of the manhole
14 United Utilities Build over a Public Sewer Guidance
I aAunited
\:, Utilities
&~Ing life f\oW smoothly
Section 1 The applicant
Company’s name
(if applicable)
Home or company address
(including postcode)
Daytime telephone number
(a mobile number is ne)
Section 2 The site owner (if dierent from the applicant)
Owners name
Owners address
(including postcode)
Daytime telephone number
(a mobile number is ne)
Section 3 Site details
Site name
Site address
(or nearest main road)
Nearest postcode
Contractor’s name
Contractor’s daytime telephone
number (a mobile number is ne)
Is the site accessible? e.g. locked gates
Proposed start date on site D M YD M Y
Development type
(Please tick all that apply)
New building
Side extension Rear extension Basement
Single storey Two storey Additional storey (above existing extension)
Details of sewer proposed to be
built over
Size of sewer
Depth of
Total length of sewer
proposed to be built over
Foundation details
Existing foundation
type (if known)
Depth of existing
foundation (if known)
Building over a public sewer
United Utilities Build over a Public Sewer Guidance 15
Section 4 Planning
Is the development exempt from
planning regulations
Yes No
If yes, please
state why
Does the site
have planning
No Application Submitted
Planning reference number
(if applicable)
No Application Submitted
Planning reference number
(if applicable)
Section 5 Building regulations
Is the development exempt from
building regulations?
If yes, please
state why
Have you applied for building
No Application Submitted
Reference number
(if applicable)
Section 6 Inspector details
(Local Authority Building Control or independent Approved Inspector?)
Who is inspecting the site?
Local Authority Building Control Independent Approved Inspector
Name of Local Authority or
company name for Approved
Inspectors name
Inspectors daytime telephone
number (a mobile number is ne)
Inspectors email
Section 7 Please conrm all supporting information is attached with your enquiry
Nb. We cannot respond to your enquiry without the information listed below
Site location plan (scale 1:1250)
Yes No
Site plan (scale 1:100) clearly identifying:
Site boundary edged green, proposed building edged yellow, foul sewer coloured brown, surface water
sewer coloured blue, combined sewer coloured red and position of existing manholes
Yes No
Dimensional section through proposed building, indicating the position of foundations relative to sewer
Yes No
Dimensional plan showing position of sewer relative to the building
Yes No
Copies of drawings submitted to Building Control for approval
Yes No
Section 8 Declaration
I understand that the submission of this form is to be treated as a preliminary enquiry and the information may be subject to change.
In particular, I understand that the information United Utilities Water Limited provides in response is valid only in conjunction with the
information provided in relation to this enquiry, any changes to regulation or development layout will invalidate our response.
Name (please print) Signature
Company Date
For United Utilities use only
Date received UUW Ref no:
Please return this form to: United Utilities Developer Services, Windermere House, 1st Floor, Lingley Mere Business Park, BC0414
Lingley Green Avenue, Great Sankey, Warrington WA53LP
About us
United Utilities is the North Wests water company. We keep the taps owing
and toilets ushing for seven million customers every day. From Crewe to
Carlisle, we work hard behind the scenes to help your life ow smoothly.
United Utilities Water Limited, Haweswater House, Lingley Mere Business Park, Lingley Green Avenue, Warrington WA5 3LP.
Registered in England and Wales. Registered Number 2366678.
03/18/SD/7757 7221a
Chrome Web Store
It looks like you haven't installed the Fill Chrome Extension Add to Chrome