General List of Requirements
The building or structure must comply with the 2015 International Property Maintenance Code and The
Code of The Borough of Conshohocken. The following is a list of common residential requirements. This
is a general list used to help property owners prepare for the inspection.
moke detectors are required on every level and in every room used for sleeping.
• All electrical equipment, wiring and appliances shall be properly installed and maintained in a safe and
• All ceilings, walls and floors shall be maintained in good, clean and sanitary condition.
• All windows must be operable and free from any holes, cracks, or broken glass.
• Screens must be installed and kept in good condition between the months of April to October.
• All means of egress doors shall be readily operable from the side which egress is to be made, without
the need for keys, special knowledge or effort.
• Every interior flight of stairs having more than four risers shall have a graspable handrail on one side
of the stair.
• Every habitable space in a dwelling shall contain at least two separate and remote electrical outlets.
• All bathrooms require: 1.) A mechanical ventilation system or an operable window and an outlet
(GFCI recommended). If new outlet is installed it must be GFCI.
• Every laundry area requires a grounded or GFCI outlet.
• The furnace must be inspected by a registered technician, and certified in writing as being in sound,
operable condition. The written heater certification must be dated within 2 years of the inspection.
• The chimney must be inspected by a registered technician, and certified in writing as being in sound,
operable condition (direct vent systems exempt). The written certification must be dated within 2 years
of the inspection. New chimney liners are exempt for five years. Must have written documentation
with the date of install, and Borough inspection permit.
• Adequate combustion air for fuel fired appliances shall be provided.
• Any unsafe structure or equipment inside the property, as determined by the Borough, is not permitted.
• The building shall have approved address numbers placed in a position plainly legible on each unit
door. Numbers must be a minimum of 4 inches in height and a ½ inch. stroke.
• All exterior property and premises shall be maintained in a clean, safe and sanitary condition.
• Every exterio
r flight of stairs that has more than four risers shall have a graspable handrail on one side
of the stair.
• Exterior wood surfaces, other then decay-resistant woods, shall be protected from the elements and
decay by painting or other protective covering or treatment. Peeling, flaking and chipping paint shall
be eliminated and surfaces repainted. Any deteriorated wood must be removed or replaced.
• All Exterior walls shall be free from holes, breaks, and loose or rotting materials.
• All down spouts and gutters shall be installed and maintained in good repair.
• Every exterior balcony, porch, landing, deck, ramp, or other walking surface which is more than 30
inches above the floor or grade, shall have guards installed. Guardrails and guards shall be securely
fastened, and capable of supporting 200lbs. of imposed loads.
• All sidewalks, curbs, walkways, stairs, driveways, parking spaces and similar areas shall be kept in
proper state of repair, and maintained free from hazardous conditions.
• All buildings and or structures on the property (garages, car ports, sheds, etc) are to be included in the
• Any unsafe structure or equipment on the property, as determined by the Borough, is not permitted.
Please allow the Borough 5 business days to review your application and schedule an inspection.