PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE COMPLETING THIS APPLICATION.
1. READ the North Carolina Plan for Certification of Paralegals found at 27 N.C.A.C. 1G, Sect. 0100 et seq.
and published in The North Carolina State Bar Lawyer’s Handbook.
2. EXAM DATE — October 24, 2020.
3. APPLICATION DEADLINE —August 17, 2020.
4. REMOTE PROCTORING TESTING — Due to the public health concerns surrounding the COVID-19
pandemic, the October 2020 Paralegal Certification Exam will be administered by computer using remote
proctoring. Traditional, in-person, handwritten exams will not be administered for the October 2020 exam
cycle. Remote proctoring enables examinees to take the exam on a computer in the location of their choice
under the supervision of a remote proctor using the examinee’s computer’s webcam and microphone in
conjunction with our testing platform ExamSoft/Examplify. (See additional instructions and technological
requirements for remote proctoring below.)
5. FILING FEE — A non-refundable filing fee of $125.00 must accompany this application. Make checks or
money orders payable to: The North Carolina State Bar Board of Paralegal Certification, PO Box 25908,
Raleigh, NC 27611.
Checks returned for insufficient funds are subject to a $35.00 fee and a certified check is required prior to
processing the application. Denial or withdrawal of an application will not entitle an applicant to a refund of
the fee or any part of the fee.
6. SPECIAL TESTING ACCOMMODATIONS FOR DISABLED APPLICANTS — A written request for
accommodations, supported by documentation of disability, must be submitted with the certification
application to the assistant director by August 15, 2020.
7. QUALIFIED BY WORK EXPERIENCE; VERIFICATION REQUIRED — Demonstration of work
experience to qualify for the certification exam must be established by sworn affidavit(s) from the lawyer(s)
or other supervisory personnel who has knowledge of the applicant’s work as a legal assistant/paralegal during
the entirety of the claimed work experience.
8. COMPLETED APPLICATIONS — Completed applications should be mailed to: The North Carolina State
Bar Board of Paralegal Certification, PO Box 25908, Raleigh, NC 27611. Mailed applications shall be
postmarked no later than August 17, 2020. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant. Each
applicant is notified by mail of the acceptance or rejection of his or her application to sit for the exam after the
Board’s quarterly meeting in September 2020.
9. EXAMINATION FEE — A non-refundable $80.00 examination fee is due prior to taking the certification
exam. This exam fee is not due and will not be collected until after the applicant has been approved to sit for
the exam. Exam fees can be paid by check or money order. Information regarding the exact exam fee due
date will be included in the approval letters; it is anticipated that approved applicants will be required to submit
their exam fee no later than September 28, 2020. Examination fees will not be accepted on exam day.
Make checks or money orders payable to: The North Carolina State Bar Board of Paralegal Certification,
PO Box 25908, Raleigh, NC 27611. Checks returned for insufficient funds are subject to a $35.00 fee and a
certified check is required prior to exam admittance and release of exam results. Failure of the exam does not
entitle an applicant to a refund of the fee or any part of the fee.
10. EXAM RESULTS — Exam results are mailed approximately 6 to 8 weeks after the exam date.