Page 1 of 3 Revision 2
Date as Postmark
GUIDANCE NOTES FOR STREET COLLECTIONS
1. Please complete the enclosed application form
2. For consideration of an application for a street collection, accounts from a previous
collection must be submitted with the application form. If no previous collection has taken
place (whether in this District or any other) confirmation of this in writing is required.
3. An application for a Street Collection permit will be considered and determined by the
Council and does so solely at its discretion. Permits will not normally be granted to
organisations who have, to the Council’s knowledge, broken the regulations in the past.
4. a) If the application is refused, the applicant will be notified in writing and given an
opportunity to appeal.
b) If the application is granted, a permit will be despatched to the permit holder
accompanied by permit regulations which must be adhered to.
5. The permit holder must obtain permission before collection from the landowner as well as
the Council, even if that land is a public-access area, but privately owned eg; George
Yard, Braintree; Tofts Walk, Braintree (Sainsbury’s), The Grove Shopping Centre and
Newland Precinct, Witham.
6. Application for a permit shall be made in writing to the Licensing Authority no earlier than
six months and no later than one month in advance of the date on which it is proposed to
make the collection.
7. If granted, the permit does not permit collection from a table, nor from a market stall.
8. The Council will carry out whatever investigations they consider necessary before
determining an application.