This program has been established by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research to assist graduate
students with travel and accommodation expenses associated with presenting a paper or poster at a
conference. Maximum funding support available under this program is $500.
Completed application forms are to be submitted to the Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies and
Research, Atrium Building Room 210. There are two competitions per fiscal year with deadlines for
submissions of April 1 and October 1. Applications will be vetted and decisions on funding will be
made by the FGSR Awards Committee.
• Applicants must be attending the conference for the purpose of presenting a paper or poster
• Applicants must be in good academic standing and be registered as full-time student in a
graduate program at Saint Mary's University
• Applicants from Masters programs may only receive funding from this competition once (1)
during the course of their studies. Applicants from PhD programs may receive funding from
this competition twice (2) during the course of their studies.
• The proposed budget (reliability, reasonableness).
• Impact of the conference participation on the applicant’s graduate program and on the profile of
Saint Mary’s as assessed by:
o The explanation/justification provided by the applicant;
o The potential impact of presenting at the conference on Saint Mary’s profile;
o The opportunities for publication of the conference presentation to a broad audience.
Complete applications must include:
• Application form (all sections)
• Budget of estimated expenses (complete the appropriate section in application form)
• Letter of acceptance from conference organizers and/or copy of conference program indicating
• Abstract of the paper