Application for Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grading Option
As a result of the extraordinary circumstances resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic, SUNY Cobleskill has amended its grading policy for the Spring
2020 term, providing students with the option to select Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grades in one or all of their courses.. This option allows
students to see the letter grade recorded by instructors and then, with appropriate advisement, to elect to receive an ‘S’ grade (equal to a ‘C’ or
higher) or a ‘U’ grade (equal to a grade of ‘C-‘ or lower), to replace the grade issued by their instructor. Before filing this application, please be sure
to familiarize yourself with Academic Policies 8.00 through 8.90 pertaining to grading, which can be found in the College Catalog.
Academic policy 8.50, S/U Grades, states - Grades indicate satisfactory (pass) or unsatisfactory (fail) in pass/fail courses, which may include "290"
courses. When a "U" in a required course is received, the student must repeat the course. The last grade earned becomes the grade of record. Only
"S" grades are assigned credit. Neither grade nor credits are used in the computation of a GPA. “S” reflects a grade of “C” or better.
Please keep in mind the following when electing Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading for your course(s):
• Students cannot revoke a request for S/U Optional Grading once a grade change has occurred.
• Students may not elect to use the S/U Optional Grading in courses taken to meet professional certification/licensure requirements.
• Actual letter grades may be needed for graduate school, medical school, professional programs, other post-baccalaureate purposes and to meet
scholarship eligibility requirements.
• Students should be aware of the potential impact on GPA and total attempted credits hours when making any decisions to elect S/U Optional
• Students should consult with their faculty advisor before requesting S/U Optional Grading. In some circumstances it is not prudent to elect S/U
• Requests will be reviewed by Financial Aid to ensure S/U Optional Grading does not negatively impact aid.
• Requests will be reviewed by the Registrar’s Office to ensure S/U Optional Grading will not negatively impact progress toward degree completion.
• SUNY Cobleskill cannot guarantee other institutions will award transfer credit for courses where S/U Optional Grading was elected.
Student Name Student ID Number
_______________________________________ Do you receive the Excelsior Scholarship? Yes No
Registrar’s Signature: ________________________________________ Date: ______________________________
Financial Aid’s Signature: ______________________________________ Date: ______________________________
Having been advised by my academic department, Financial Aid, and Registrar, I acknowledge understanding of the requirements and
consequences of receiving S/U grades versus the grade(s) I was awarded for the term. I understand this is an option for the Spring 2020
term in response to the global pandemic, is an amendment to existing policy, and will not be offered in subsequent terms or prior terms. I
understand that, by submitting this document, I cannot revoke the decision to have letter grade(s) at any point in the future. The S/U
grade becomes my grade of record for the course(s) specified above.
Student’s Signature: ________________________________________ Date: ______________________________